View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Pig touchdown 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Pig touchdown
Finally managed to get my pigs moved from Quatre-Saison yesterday.

They are holidaying up the road for a week or so while I finalize arrangements for them.

The boys were in today and put up about 800 metres of hinge joint and delivered 12 new cattle panels for me. They used my tractor to move some fallen trees and put the backhoe back on the TPL for me- bonus!

Things are gradually coming together.

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Pig touchdown
Great news I bet you are very excited.

Can I assume the are wessex saddlebacks as noted in your signature block.

I recently sold mine as we were going to sell up and downsize but that has since changed. Luckily i sold mine to a neighbour and I can buy back some of the progeny.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Mark, two Wessex and four Berkshires.

Just need to get a Large White boar, but Carole has given me a lead in that direction!

Cheers,
Alan

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Regular Gardner

Question for you Alan, are the berkshires bigger or smaller than saddlebacks or are they relatively the same size when mature?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:28 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

These are my first pigs so you probably need to ask Cai or Carole as both have experience with these breeds.

Cheers,
Alan

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

Congratulations again you are quickly gathering quite the menagerie!
I've found the saddlebacks to be slightly larger but it really depends on the strain.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Saddlebacks are slightly taller with larger overall frames but tend to be slimmer than berkshires that are pudgy and round- very barrel like when mature- weight wise i think they would be on a par though- though pound for pound there is more between them in the butchering. they are traditionally for different purposes- saddlebacks are longer bodied 'bacon' pigs and berkshires are wonderful 'lard' pigs (meaning they have succulent roasting/grilling properties for joints and chops)
see
http://quatre-saisons.com.au/upload/fil ... 20Pigs.pdf

for more info

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]