View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Our new Pig - Ethel 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Our new Pig - Ethel
I am so glad that you have Ethel - what a remarkable circle of swaps amongst forum members - was she the first sow Rayan's daughter had with the pics of the lovely piglets posted here? I have just read an article in the current Pig mag from the UK on these blacks - they look great. I do love the look of your other porkers too - really want to get going on the pig thing but I think we have to get council permission.
You are so lucky to have green grass Cai - we have been tinder dry for a month and think any that is growing from our last downpour is going to brown off with the heat of the weekend!

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

It is indeed the one that Rayan's daughter had, our first ever pigs were actually 2 of her piglets.
We have so far found that the large black meat was the most tender & sweet.
We normally are crispy & brown grass wise but its just a weird season up here this year.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I'm away from home but Em sent me through these lovely photos! Apparently Ethel had a litter of piglets last night 10 in total, 11 were born but we think she rolled on one.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

so cute :)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:04 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Awww ! They're gorgeous :D Congrats!

Must ask how the fencing is holding up? I'd really love to get a couple of pigs but have NO idea as to how to keep them. What size paddocks do you have them in? How often do you move them?

We have a boggy paddock down the bottom (currently flooded) but it is always marshy. Would this be TOO wet for pigs to forage in?

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Pigs would absolutely love the wet ground the fence area is a 25m square and I move it once every 4 weeks after they have turned over the ground.
The house that they have is just some pallets and a tin roof with some hay in it for them but an even easier house would be hay bale sides and some tin on the top.
If you do opt to go for some pigs...some of these little guys will be for sale :)

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

:D Thanks Cai but we're on the Mid North Coast. A long drive for the poor little babies :( I'll have to find some from around this area I think. Would love to try some of the rarer breeds but it's probably pointless if we're just raising them to eat. Don't know if I'd be up for breeding (as much as I'd love to). We're only on 5 acres and want to do so many different things LOL!

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Ah thats right forgot you were further north, currently experiencing a little rain?
I think its worth chasing up rarer breeds as I reckon the pork tastes better & they don't really cost much more to feed up etc.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

cai do u know what breed the boar was that went over her there are some intersting pigglets in that lot jason :thumbright

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 pm
Site Administrator

The boar was a berkshire, so not really sure on the ginger ones...when she has been put to a large black the resulting offspring from her were all black...?
I'll be putting her to a registered large black boar once she has weaned these so we will see what that produces.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next