View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Electric fences & pigs 
Site Administrator

Post Electric fences & pigs
For those who are worried about using electric fences with pigs I was on the RSPCA website checking out something regarding dogs & found this quote on the website "Pigs must be humanely acclimatised to electric fences (where used) and other fences and containment methods."
Figured there are a whole heap of horror stories around about people having pigs seized when they were contained using electric so I thought some clarity might be good.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:02 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Electric fences & pigs
Cai wrote:
"Pigs must be humanely acclimatised to electric fences (where used) and other fences and containment methods."

OK - is that the same way my dad acclimated me, “here son, this is an electric fence do not touch it” so of course I touch it, get a big kick out of it, a cry my heart out.

So for the pigs, you say to them, “well little piggy, this is a electric fence, be careful!!!!!”

My dad was a pig farmer, some 20 odd years ago, and he tells me he had a fantastic sow, big litters, best mother around, BUT hated being penned in or even locked in a paddock. All the sows and the boar were in a 1 acre paddock with 3 strand electric fence around it. So every morning, you would hear her scream , then find her outside the paddock, then again just before dark, you would hear her scream and she would be inside the paddock. So dad watched her one day. She would stand back and start screaming and run forwards the fence, once she was thru the fence she would stop screaming and go off grazing, and the same at night. He kept her for many years

Last edited by BB on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:57 am
Site Administrator

:lol: perhaps she just thought that the green grass on the other side was worth the sting

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

:lol:

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Gotta love pigs. Funny buggers.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Sprout

I have a beautiful big girl, gorgeous temperament, amazing mum.......

She stands at the electric fence, sways with the current and when her courage and rhythm are right she runs through, very clever.....

Attachments:
rose small pix.jpg
rose small pix.jpg [ 93.42 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]
Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

just apublisity stunt by the rspca explin there ceo geting done for crulity to animals :hmm :thumbright jason there full of sh**

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]