View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Those pesky possums.... 
Sprout

Post Those pesky possums....
I have a serious possum infestation so am after ideas for getting rid of them. I know some people don't mind living with these critters but when you put in so much effort growing produce, only to find it eaten by possums, they gotta go!
I have south western pygmy possums and they love to eat the fruit off my trees (pears & plums mostly, but even my passionfruit), and will eat entire lettuces, strawberries and capsicums. They'll even eat new shoots if there's no fruit available.

Ive tried various deterrent sprays but none were very effective. Napthalene flakes worked a little but if they were hungry enough they still came back. Being nocturnal if I leave the outside light on at night they stay away from my vege's as they're close to the house, but my fruit tree's are still getting raided and I've lost a lot of fruit :x . All possums are a protected species so I need a non-lethal deterrent (not that I would kill them if I could, I just want my fruit).

Mon May 17, 2010 5:08 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Those pesky possums....
One option would be netting your fruit, its a pain in the butt but thats what i do to the grapes on the deck.
other people might have a better solution thats just what i do!
i paid $9 per 10 x 1 strip of net and you are able to order as many metres as you want

Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Nothing has really worked for me out of the things i tried.

so far most have sprayed on eg. seaweed solution, garlic spray , ( i was also about to try chilli , but i didn't as i thought that would be pretty mean!!!) :lol:
I also got told to spead liberally blood and bone , but my dogs would have had a field day in that ......
ALSO another which i am yet to try is flakes which you put in the cupboard to stop moths , you are supposed sprinkle it around the base and they dont like the smell...
but basically i think if they are hungry enough they will eat anything !!! maybe we should just plant more so we can share!!!!

Tracey :D

Mon May 17, 2010 8:01 pm
Forum Moderator

High quality netting would be your best bet. If you have access to non-lethal traps (bait them, and a door on the front is triggered when the animal enters) then relocation may be an option. If they are moved 10km or further away they tend not to come back, but it's no guarantee that other possums won't take their place.

Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

There is an episode of the Gourmet Farmer that deals with this very subject, and his best solution was basically the same as Slim's, good quality netting was what he found to be his best answer.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Mon May 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Sprout

ollie girl wrote:
Nothing has really worked for me out of the things i tried.

so far most have sprayed on eg. seaweed solution, garlic spray , ( i was also about to try chilli , but i didn't as i thought that would be pretty mean!!!) :lol:
I also got told to spead liberally blood and bone , but my dogs would have had a field day in that ......
ALSO another which i am yet to try is flakes which you put in the cupboard to stop moths , you are supposed sprinkle it around the base and they dont like the smell...
but basically i think if they are hungry enough they will eat anything !!! maybe we should just plant more so we can share!!!!

Tracey :D

Napthalene flakes are the ones you use for moths, I've tried blood and bone and both my plants and my dog like it and the possums don't seem to notice it...

Looks like I'll be trying some netting. I've got plenty of time as the tree's have finished fruiting and the possums aren't very active during the colder months. Thanks for the replies, think I'm gonna have to start watching Gourmet Farmer :D

Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]