View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
When is NATURAL NOT REALLY NATURAL 
Forum Moderator

Post When is NATURAL NOT REALLY NATURAL
Have a read folks.. tis a worry given how often some use this stuff and the applications.

http://www.anapsid.org/pyrethroids.html

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: When is NATURAL NOT REALLY NATURAL
Yes its suprising how many peoples don't know this, great that you've brought it up. Other products that are made from natural ingriedents that can be quite toxic is anything with wormword, catapilers and I've heard about a chilli one that can be very nusty.

Also try and avoid anything thats a kill all type chemical natural or not. Once you start killing of the good preditor insects your problem really can get much worse in the long term.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm
Forum Moderator

I only brought this up, as a friend of mine in Finland has built a cabin on a block at a lake. They have a 30cm wide ant trail that runs right between their cabin and the lake front.

Their 2 little girls under five have been bitten etc while trying to play and frolic. So she wanted to get rid of them for good.

Took me an hour to talk her down from Antocide 2010, and then she said they use pyretrum in Finland as it is a green product. So here we are....

I am getting her to try a STACK of baby powder each side of the ant trail to bring the width to 10cms in a small place so they ca just step across. Heres hoping it works.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:58 pm
Sprout

Great advice Lintonpair, I think we have to learn to live within our environment, the ants would be an important part of the ecosystem.
The kids would love a plank bridge on two bricks to cross their trail.

A lot of people consider the big meat ants that live in Queensland a pest and kill them and trash their nests but it has recently been discovered that they "masacre" cane toadlets when led to them.
The toadlets don't recognise them as a threat as do our native frogslets so are sitting prey, the go is to lead them to the dam with something like cat food and once they discover the toadlets the whole nest comes down and virtually wipes them out!

Although my three and five year olds have never been bitten they know what a meat ant nest looks like and simply avoid them.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am
Green Thumb

Yes this post had me thinking today. Its interesting, mushrooms for instance are all natural but doesn't mean some of them can't kill you, or at least make you feel very bad.

Natural and safe don't aways go hand in hand.

I love the bridge idea :)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 pm
Site Administrator

I find this a really interesting concept. People tend to assume that just because something occurs naturally that it is good. I used to work in a pharmacy, and there are so many drugs that are actually developed from plant extracts. Some of them are helpful of course, but some of them aren't. Plant based does not equate to good for you.

Any why not teach the kids about the importance of balancing eco systems and protecting wildlife? I am sure they can find a way to make it fun for the kids. The bridge is a great idea.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:29 pm
Sprout

I think a lot of people want to use something organic or natural in controlling pests or weeds but don't realize that these organic sprays can also be toxic. I'm all for using organic and natural sprays and fertilizers but I also like to make sure that they won't be toxic to my kids, my animals or our vegetables and plants. I also agree that some pests can actually be of a benefit to our crops or our backyards and we shouldn't try to kill them.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 am
Forum Moderator

tobacco and marijuana are another 2 great natural products :lol:

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]