View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Small swarming flies 
Forum Moderator

Post Small swarming flies
Just wondering if anyone has a good knowledge of flying insects or where to look or ask for identification? I'm not sure how to do a goodle search for identifying them.

This isn't so much plant related, but horse related. Down at our paddocks we have heaps of swarms of very small flying insects. It is generally in the damper areas they hang out and close to a mangrove area. They gather in a big almost ball shape (but they are not flying ants).

It seems that my horse is exteremely sensitive to them and could be the trigger for his extreme itchiness. What I aim to find out is the best repellant for them, how to avoid having them on your property, and maybe even what I can plant to repel them on our new property.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Small swarming flies
Have you asked your local vet? Or other horse owners in the area? Very hard to ID an insect by description only given how many species there are so if you are able to catch any, in something like a fruit fly trap perhaps, then get a photo (do you have access to a macro camera? Then you may be able to email the photo and as much info as you can to the DPI or some such.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]