View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Woolly Aphids 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Woolly Aphids
goes to show what I know! :mrgreen: :lol:

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:54 am
Sprout

guzzigirl wrote:
goes to show what I know! :mrgreen: :lol:

Well, you are not wrong yet, I still have no explanation for why there is no sign of fruit and why I don't recall seeing any blossoms, however, I was talking to a chap who has several apple trees himself and he reckons it sounds like a Granny Smith or a Pink Lady which apparently don't do all that well in this neck of the woods. It may have blossomed but so innocuously that I didn't notice - keeping in mind I had no idea that it MIGHT be an apple tree until the woolly aphids struck and I looked them up.

I have been out trying to find some spray or whatever today, staff at Bunnings ended up ringing Yates and another supplier who reckon they don't have a product for Woolly Aphids registered in Australia. On the other hand I found "Folimat" which DOES include woolly aphids but it is only available in a small "gun" package and I think I would need about 20 of them to do the whole tree. In the end it looks like I may as well wait until winter and then prune and spray with white oil and lime sulphur...

This gardening caper can get quite, shall we say, complicated...

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm
Green Thumb

make sure the tree gets plenty of water and a feed when appropriate to help it cope with the infestation.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 am
Sprout

guzzigirl wrote:
make sure the tree gets plenty of water and a feed when appropriate to help it cope with the infestation.

Yes! that has been a common theme in my discussions with people, it makes sense.

There has been no shortage of water in these parts, but I will need to look into the "feed" part.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 am
Sprout

Not sure if they are sap sucking insects but i was once told that if you sprinkle yellow sulphur around the root area of trees being infested, then water in well it helps combat sup sucking insects eating the plants.
The tree sucks up the sulphur thru the roots and then hey presto the bugs don't like the taste and move elsewhere.
I have been putting it around my trees here the past couple of years and it seems to work. Although if they are heavily infestated I have to spray with white oil or high pressure hose to help get them off before they eat the tree.

I'm no expert but it's seemed to help here.

:)

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Have you used the sulphur on apple trees before? I've read that apples like a more alkaline soil and sulphur would push it more towards an acid soil.
I know it's not a positive apple id yet but leaves look similar to my granny smith.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm
Sprout

hmmmm I think I did last year, only a small sprinkle (couple of handfuls) as they too had white fluffy stuff all over them. It hasn't seemed to have worried the fruiting or the trees as I have a stack of apples on the trees now and they look healthy. And it appears no bugs :thumbright

I try to think that i'm a good gardener but I'm not into the technical parts of it. I just have a go and if it works I'm happy, if not I try again.

I buy all my minerals in 20kg bags as I use them all with the animals as licks. (Lime, Seaweed meal, Copper Sulphate and Sulphur) Sulphur keeps the biting insects of them too.

Good luck

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

I think the way to become a good gardener is to have a go and see what works. Thats why forums like these are so good because we can learn from each others experiences. I ask questions when I haven't had the opportunity to try but you have and I share what worked for me when you haven't had a chance to try. So, be encouraged that you are probably a better gardener than you think even if you don't know "technical stuff".

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2