View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mouse Plague 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Mouse Plague
I have read that a cup of flour, a cup of sugar and a cup of Bi Carb soda mixed together is an excellent rat and mice killer that is non toxic. Apparently they cannot burp or fart so it causes them to bloat and pop. Not necessary a nice way to go but better than an anti coagulent that makes em choke to death on their blood i guess.

At least this method is non toxic. I have been using it with mixed success so far, i think mouse numbers are down but no necessarily the rats, was tossing up andding a smidgen of blood and bone to the mix for smell as they seem to love that.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:59 pm
Site Administrator

I'm sitting with Cai giggling about exploding mice....

His two cents worth is that you should make sure its not anywhere near the chooks - they can't fart either and will also explode!!

I remember a few years ago we had a terrible plague in our pantry. It was awful - we had to start putting everything in plastic bags and then in containers...they must have been hungry as they chewed through tupperware little bastards!!

At the moment they seem to get really interested wherever we put hay. :evil:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:45 pm
Forum Moderator

It is kept nice and safe in the garage that the chookens cant get too. :)

The reason i finally took this step was hte bloody rats eating through the copper wires in the car engine bay. Apparently they love copper wire for their teeth and also the lovely warm space the car provides in the garage at night after we drive home from canberra....

One day we went to start the car and the little buggers had chewed clean through the wire linked to the cam shaft sensor which meant the car wouldnt start. Work would not believe me about what happened and it only took another fellow country bumpkin to convince them that it does happen. GRRRR!!!!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Cleaned out the goose bath this morning and took out all the dead bodies, roughly 300 of the little buggers.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:55 pm
Site Administrator

Wow - little buggers!! They are annoying. :evil:

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yep they are getting just a little tiresome. :x

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 pm
Forum Moderator

Maybe there's a solution? If you have approx. 300 drowning in one goose bath a night, then get a few more goose baths? Drowning may not be the nicest way for them to go, but it seems effective.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

they go looking for water and they fall in and cant get out, I find them in all the chook water containers every couple of days as well.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:39 pm
Forum Moderator

And Ive had the hide to complain about the couple Ive been hearing in the roof of a night.

Standard Rat Sak is a waste of time go the super strength stuff :D

And people keep these rotten creatures as pets...... icky

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:11 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yep the standard stuff is a waste of time and money, I have found the double strength one is the one that does the job, good for mice and will roll rats as well. Havent had rats for a couple years, found the best way to roll them was to get a can of cat food and leave about half an inch in the bottom of the can after feeding the cats and then add the rat sak double strength. I killed every rat in the place within a week!!!!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next