View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mouse Plague 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Mouse Plague
At the moment with the warmer weather we are having, the mice are increasing in number. When you go out at night they are running over the roads, into any feed that is no in bins and always in the hay. Each time I go up and get a bale of hay for the goats, when I take the cover off there are always minmum of half a dozen mice looking back at me. I have to empty the goose bath water every morning as they seem to want to try and get a drink from there and fall in. Nothing like picking 30 or 40 bloated mice out of the water every morning. I cant wait for some real cold weather to kill them off.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:41 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Mouse Plague
Do you have a cat? you could always stop in at the pound grab a few for a week then say that things didn't work out :lol:

Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I have six cats and four dogs all doing their best to help out.

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 pm
Forum Moderator

Do you set baits? It must be frustrating for you!

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

That's pretty full on :shock:

If you find they're getting in the cupboards, try putting down face washers or paper towels scented with several drops of peppermint essential oil. Mice (and ants) can't stand it. I'm not sure it would work in a huge feed shed... I guess you could try dropping a peppermint bomb in there!

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

No have to be careful were I set baits, dont really want the dogs eating the dead mice. Never heard the idea about the lavender oil before but will give it a go.

I remember when we were kids on the yorke pennisular many many years ago :lol: we had a real bad mouse plague up there, they were running over your bed whilst you were sleeping etc the road were greasy with squashed mice.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Peppermint, not lavender ;)

There are baits you can use which are safe to dogs and cats (they don't leave residual poison in the mouse bodies) but you'd still need to be really careful about placement, as I'm sure they'd be poisonous if the dogs ate the actual bait. I can find the names of these baits if you like?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Longclaw wrote:
Peppermint, not lavender ;)

There are baits you can use which are safe to dogs and cats (they don't leave residual poison in the mouse bodies) but you'd still need to be really careful about placement, as I'm sure they'd be poisonous if the dogs ate the actual bait. I can find the names of these baits if you like?

:oops: so much for my reading skills

Would appreciate that, at the moment I have to use Ratsak double strength because the ordinary one doesnt knock them.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:29 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Hmm, I know I've heard of it but I can't seem to find the name.

Apparently rat zappers are fantastic, although a bit expensive and possibly not terribly useful on the scale you're dealing with...
http://www.ratzapper.com.au/products.htm

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I understand that they are quiet good, but at $100 a throw I agree a little expensive.

Today tonight on channel 7 ( dont know if they will show it in other states ) have a story on the west coast tonight, apparently a number of farms are not even going to both to put a crop in at the moment even with all the rain, they have far worse numbers over there.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next