View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Stink Bugs 
Sprout

Post Stink Bugs
I am having trouble controlling stink bugs on my citrus trees. In the past I have used Pyrethrum, garlic/chilli spray and the good old knock them off with a broom and drown them in metho but this year the nasty bugs have got the better of me and the infestation is massive. The citrus trees have been well watered and fed so I thought they may be able to repel any nasties better but not so. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to any help.
Thanks.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Stink Bugs
i'll ask my folks what they do as they have a citrus orchard!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

All pests can be broken into 2 groups either sap sucking or chewing . These ones are sap suckers!!!

I would use a systemic product that actually when sprayed goes thru into the plants system and when digested will kill them. Obviously you want to go as low toxic as possible but for sap sucking insects this type of protection is best bar actually picking the insect off by hand. There are many low toxic varieties about , i have used a product called "success" and it has worked well. The sunlight breaks down this product and there is not any residue. Use it a couple times as the bug actually lays eggs on the underside of the leaves and you need to get the next lots before they do too much damage

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 am
Sprout

Thanks for the suggestion Tracey. Where did you get Success from as I kinda doubt my local Bunnings would have it mostly they have the knock em down dead and forget about any harmful side effects sprays?
Thanks Cai it's always good to have professional contacts on the inside!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 am
Forum Moderator

Yep its a yates product and is available from bunnings

Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:48 pm
Sprout

Tracey you are a citrus tree saver!! Success worked great, though I think a follow up spray will be needed in about 2weeks. Even though I'm happy to let just about all creatures in my yard survive there was something visceral about assaulting those stink bugs - and me a placid vegetarian but there are times when it comes down to protection of my plants and/or animals.
Thanks again Tracey.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:31 pm
Forum Moderator

your welcome :thumbright

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm
Sprout

I have stink bugs on my squash plants. Last year, they attacked my pumpkins but this year I've found them on my squash plants. Would spraying them with something like you described hurt the squash plants or make the squash unedible? I've tried finding non-toxic alternatives but it seems like chemicals are the only thing to get rid of them with.

Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]