View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Tip - Keeping Slaters and Slugs away from seedlings 
Forum Moderator

Post Tip - Keeping Slaters and Slugs away from seedlings
When we first moved to our place our seedlings used to get smashed by slaters, slugs and other bugs and we couldnt work out a way to stop them.

After much scratching of heads we tried cutting softdrink bottles into rings and pushing them into the ground around our seedlings. Amzingly to us it worked a treat. Mind you i read about doing the same things in another forum about a month after we did it, so cant claim it as our idea. :p

So if you erm..... drink lots of soft drink out of plastic bottles its a great way to make use of them instead of throwing into the rubbish.

Also the beer trap trick works a treat too for catching them on mass, here just use the bases you cut off the bottles and dig them into the ground.

EDIT: Woops maybe this should have gone in Pest and Disease Management?

Sun May 30, 2010 6:09 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Tip - Keeping Slaters and Slugs away from seedlings
now moved!

Sun May 30, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

... and if anyone needs some softdrink bottles in the Canberra region to give this a go, I've been collecting them for ages (for brewing things in), and have almost literally a shed full. I don't need all of them!

Sun May 30, 2010 11:36 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Another good source of plastic bottles is your local rubbish tip. Ours has a big container full of plastic bottles that you can take away if you have need of them, otherwise they go to the recyclers. We will be taking a ute load of them later in the year to use as tree guards when we do our big native tree and shrub planting exercise.

Last edited by Longclaw on Mon May 31, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:06 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Slim wrote:
... and if anyone needs some softdrink bottles in the Canberra region to give this a go, I've been collecting them for ages (for brewing things in), and have almost literally a shed full. I don't need all of them!

A Shed Full :o your sitting on a fortune Slim over here they are worth 10 cents EACH!!! you could nearly retire!!!!!!! :lol:

Breeders of Large Malay, Indian Game Dark and Blue Bantams, Light Sussex Bantams, Rosecomb Bantams, Ginger Red Old English Game Large, Modern Game Black/Red and Pile Bantams and Transylvanian Naked Necks.......

Mon May 31, 2010 11:10 am
Forum Moderator

That's it, I'm packing up and moving to SA to claim my fortune!

Mon May 31, 2010 12:32 pm
Site Administrator

I love that our forum is full of great info AND light hearted fun!! :clap Go us!!

Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm
Regular Gardner

Our over the top cane toad population means we rarely see a snail or slug, the young adolescent toads are incredibly quick over a metre or so, they are much more active in the vege patch than our variety of frogs.

Mon May 31, 2010 6:26 pm
Forum Moderator

If you drink the amount of coke i do it doesnt take long to have a few on hand. :p

With regards to Cane Toads we where discussing them at work and nearly made the poor vegetarian throw up when discussing backyard cricket with the damn things. Key to using them in backyard cricket is that you really dont know which way the little buggers will bounce!

Mon May 31, 2010 7:04 pm
Site Administrator

Golf with cane toads goes really well as well, a good wedge like a sand wedge or pitching wedge works really well!

Mon May 31, 2010 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]