View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The best and worst of my garden ~ idea's please ~ update 
Forum Moderator

Post The best and worst of my garden ~ idea's please ~ update
Ok so here are some of the best and worst parts of my garden. The best first ~ the worst last.

I'd love some ideas and input from forum members.

Please take into account that I am on nearly pure sand. I am able to get my hands on some cow manure this weekend.

Ideally would like some ideas on design as noted under the photo's. I look forward to your input. :D

The rose garden - front yard :thumbright
A section of garden with one of 'The Estates' very practical Wheelbarrows, recently filled with cascading tomato's lemongrass and chilli. :thumbright

The potato patch, does anyone know if I start digging now if I'll get any decent potato's. :thumbright

Now if I could only turn that thumbrite upside down.

Under the citrus by the back deck, I had to heavily prune due to wasp gall up until 3 months ago they were quite lush. What would be good to plant underneath and what fertilizer will citrus thrive on.

and the neglected back corner, which is just growing weeds, (the tree is new), and some tuberous flowering thingies ( ginger & calla lillies ).

The rest of the back yard has a strong native & indignous theme, but I would be happy for productive idea to the contrary. :sunny

Last edited by jayups~garden on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photo update

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: The best and worst of my garden ~ idea's please
It all looks ok to me, I would look at finding some kind of ground creeper thats dense to prevent weeds & weeding I would plant it under the roses & trees so that you don't have to weed it :)
With the spuds i'm told that you wait till the leaves start dying before digging up spuds but not sure on that one as I've never grown spuds before as they are so cheap to buy .
Hope other people have more idea's than me :(

Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Looks great Jays, wheelbarrow looks great where you have it there :thumbright

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 pm
Green Thumb

wait till the taters start to die back Jays :thumbright you could have a bit of a ferrat about with maybe 1 plants, depends of how much you want your yield to be ?

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:50 pm
Green Thumb

As per Cai - potatos are best left until the leaves have died back.

The fruit trees, if they have not been healthy you could look at planting a green manure crop, an annual maybe, or even lucerne or licorice which are both lugemes and provide nitrogen to your lovely trees. A heavy crop of this, would reduce the need to mulch, as it should grow quite thick.

For the unused corner, the world is the limit. You could try a kiwi or passonfruit depending on the aspect of the fence.

Thats the limits of my ideas, I'm still trying to work out my own :)

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:54 pm
Green Thumb

More roses :throw :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 pm
Forum Moderator

No more roses, there are lots of californian poppys coming up under the roses, that will do there. The front yard is still recovering from being stripped back by my chooks last year, which was the plan, but the self seeders are slowly making their way back.

Carrie I like your idea, however the only problem I see with Lucerne is I have my 3 pure bred chooks free ranging the backyard most days and that would be an open invite I'd guess. I did have an idea to fence that area off and try some pumpkins, zucchini and cucumber, as long as they'll grow compatibly with the citrus.? I also have a small passionfruit in the front yard that is doing zilch, I guess I could move it and see what happens, I love passionfruit.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 pm
Green Thumb

Like the last idea best, you could even train the cucs to grow up some mesh also :thumbright

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:23 pm
Forum Moderator

hey thats looking very fruitfull - OK apart form the poor citrus trees :shock:

Quote:
tuberous flowering thingies.

THey look very similar to something I had growing at my place in Canberra It was Ginger something?

Ill have to ask the person who gave it to me.

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:25 pm
Site Administrator

I like ground cover plants because they keep everything looking green. Perhaps you could go with a native to tie in with the other sections of your garden?

Growing more things you can eat is also good! I'll keep thinking!

Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next