View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
aquaponics 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: aquaponics
It was a rwal bugger t have got so far so well - I had had no losses of fish the whole time apparenlty it is common to loose a few ealry in the pice as the system is stabalising which I had got through unscatherd and just dropped the lot in one go.

Thankyou all for your encouragement and enthusiasm over the last 8 months or so.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:19 pm
Forum Moderator

Not good Bernie... After so much hard work , but from my point of view it has been an exciting experiment to follow ...good on you for trying and better luck next time.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm
Sprout

saabman wrote:
Yeah Good going J!

On my way back from Qld last week I saw a sign advertising Aquaponics. so I stopped and had a look.

The place was a a hatchery and sold SIlver pearch and murry cod (i think) along with Yabbies as well.

THey were located just between Newcastle and Karuah and will freight around the place with no problems.

The place was called 12 mile creek aquafarm and you can call them on 0405 439 259.

They also had a small aquaponics set up available which was basically a polly barrlle about 1.5m high and 90cm diameter.

the top held the grow bed and fish lived in the bottom. The little flyer I picked up suggests that it was suiatable for upto 15 fish.

It used a similar system to mine - just a pump running on a timer and a slow drain to empty the grow bed. They must have been using a bigger pump than mine as they only ran it for 2minutes each hour and that was enough to flood the grow bed. to keep the water airated they used a continuously running Air pump.

Just noticed to day that my Brocolli is starting to flower!!! and looking very healthy.

Also now the weather has warmed up the evporation/transpiration is huge Ive lost nearly 100litres of water ove rthe last 2 weeks.

Though that has to be much less than I would put onto a similar sized garden over the same period.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 am
Sprout

Hi People. My name is Glenn and I am new to this forum . I am adicted to Aquaponics and I have now be doing it for almost 3 years. This comment is directed to Saabman. I read you post on where you were driving back from Queensland and you seen a sign for Aquaponics on the Pacific Hwy just north of Newcastle. It was good to read your comment because I am the manufacturer of that small AP tank
Feel free to ask any questions about Aquaponics.

Hope you all have a good weekend
Glenn

Last edited by Cai on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

edited to comply with business rules

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:14 am
Forum Moderator

Well there you go glen I am planning to stop by there later in the year and buy a bunch of fish to replace the one sthat died - probably about October.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:24 pm
Forum Moderator

It's nice to hear your not giving up Bernie and that your going to give the fish another try.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 pm
Forum Moderator

I Was feeling rather sorry for myself and saw the trouble others were having in their pursuits at the moment and have figgured what the heck Ill give it another go.

Part of my reluctance initially was the frieght cost for the fish - for the small number i was getting it cost more to ship them than the cost of the fish.

But I realised I will probably by going to the Old bar Kombi festival later in the year and that takes me right past the door of the fish supplier so I can personally pick them up saving the freight cost :cheersarm

So that will give me time to relocate the system and have it all settled befor ethe fish come.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:33 pm
Green Thumb

Thats fantastic :)

Successful people are not those that are lucky but the ones that are willing to pick themselves up, brush down and try try again.

Well done.

When abouts do you think you will be getting you fishes?

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:50 am
Forum Moderator

October is the plan!

Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 am
Forum Moderator

Bernie if you are looking for fish in October the guy that owns the native fish farm at Grong Grong, near Narrandera sells fingerling lots at the field days. So that might be another option for you at the time. :)

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next