View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
ollie girls garden 
Forum Moderator

Post ollie girls garden
Just thought i would post some photos up of my garden , it is still a work in progress , we built the house nearly two years ago , it is on a very steep block of just over 600m2 . I feel i have got most of what i want into the garden except chooks!! The front is mostly a cottage garden feel with a quick growing ice cream bean tree in the corner which was placed to eventully block the western sun that beats onto the house in summer. my favourite plant in the front is what is commonly called "lambs ears" . The grey foliage is soft and furry like a lambs ear ( i can play with a piece of that plant for ages)!! :?

The back of the yard has a steep section which is on about a 45 degrees angle which can make things a little difficult, the main vege and fruit tree section is about 1 -1.5 metres wide next to the fence and faces east , so a big 6 foot fence takes out a chunk of sunlight in the morning but the garden seems to be coping ok .

I currently grow white mulberry, lemonade, lime ( my manderine died :cry: ) rasberries, fejola, (need another) 2 types of passionfruit
non astringent permisson, macadamia nut tree, aspargus, parsley , thyme,basil, rosemary, chives, strawberries, rosellas, potatoes, radish, beetroot, many types of lettuce, yellow beans, sugars snap beans,celery, spinach, carrots, cauliflower , brocolli, zucchini , curry plant, and im running out of space for anything else , oh yeah waiting patiently for my favourite small tomee tomatoes to sprout as my daughter mowed over the last lot :evil:

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:02 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: ollie girls garden

Have seen so many native bees lately , really chuffed they have found my garden!!

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 pm
Forum Moderator

Have water in the garden to encourage the birds to the garden ( they have a feast on the grasshoppers)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:14 pm
Forum Moderator

Resident guard dogs! who wreck havoc on my seedlings
rasberry patch, and aspargus, and a very quick growing white mulberry tree ( the fruit on this is yum)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm
Forum Moderator

What a great effort in such a short amount of time Tracey. You should be very proud of such a rewarding garden. I just love those mushie mutts, with their cute wrinkly faces, give them a little squeeze for me.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:27 pm
Forum Moderator

This is the section which is still under construction an embankment which is quite steep and full of weed seed ( cobbler pegs for 1 :evil: ) I have endeavoured to "carpet this section" but i will have to peg it down as the dogs just run down the hill and slide on the carpet which ends up down the bottom !!
2500Litre rainwater tank with a grape vine running up over reo
and when i wake up in the morning this is the sunrise view from my verandah

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm
Forum Moderator

Thanks Jayups , I will.. they love smoochin:)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:37 pm
Site Administrator

Amazing view fantastic garden too given your lack of space, love the two trouble makers as well :)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

What a fantastic space you have :)

Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 pm
Forum Moderator

Thankyou for your kind words, had some excitment in the garden today . checked on my ice cream bean tree which is the tree in the front garden . And guess what it had fruit on it :cheersarm .....real surprise as previous discussions on this forum stated by others that i shouldnt expect fruit for about 5 years . The tree has only been planted 2 years ( probably just shy of that) so I wasnt sure whether or not the fruit would be ripe as i have never tasted, nor seen this fruit grown before. I chopped the pod off the tree and sliced it open ......very different to anything i have ever tried , not a strong flavour( I expected more to taste like vanilla ice cream :lol: ) , moist but not juicy , could come up with some ideas for deserts or would be great in a fruit salad... heres some photos

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next