View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Where to start? 
Forum Moderator

Post Where to start?
Hi,

I have allocated an area of about 9 x 9 meters for my vege garden in my back yard. Started building a fence around it to keep the dogs out , now nolonger have dogs so have stopped the fence :) I have one bed built off approx 2.4m x 1.2m.
Ive been adding grass clippings and vege scraps to the area for the last 12 months and digging it in periodically and have a couple of potatoes growing - even ate some of them.

But!

Now what do I do?

Bernie

Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 pm
Site Administrator

Post Re: Where to start?
i'll throw in my two cents worth,
A good start would be to grab a bit of paper and sketch out how you want to position our beds, do you want curved ones or the conventional rectangular raised beds with aisles. Step two is working out if you want to use timber or bricks to make the beds up.
Step three is now you have all these empty raised beds, to make mine up you can buy this great stuff called black gold (i'm sure it goes but other names) it's a nutrient rich soil that makes for fantastic gardening, you can mix this through with regular soil and compost to save some $$$.
Step four would be to have a look at the planting guide for this time of year for your climate and work out what from the monthly planting guide sounds good, i've planted garlic, sugar snap peas & lettuce.
Step five, the best way to keep moisture in the beds when you water is to put mulch on top, i use either sugar cane mulch or pea straw as over a year it starts to rot down and make a good fertiliser.
Step six, now that you have done all that put some seeds or seedlings in and water, then once every few weeks dilute a little seasol available in bunnings.
let me know if you have any other questions!

Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

If you have enough space you could also plant a few dwarf fruit trees. They will take a couple of years to really get going, but when they do you will have your own fruit, which is a lot of fun! Even though you don't have the dogs anymore, it might be a good idea to finish the fence. If you are using the traditional chicken wire style, then you can plant something like a passion fruit or kiwi wine on the fence - giving you extra produce without taking up extra space! Alternatively, you can make a thin bed along the base of the fence and then use it when growing things that climb, like snow peas or climbing beans. Given the size of your garden, you could probably do both!

If you would like us to post the growing/planting guide, or just list the current options for you, let us know. You'll obviously need to source some seeds or seedlings. I would recommend seeds - they take a bit longer to get started and require a little more care, but you have heaps more options in terms of varieties etc. Eden Seeds is a great place to start. They have an amazing catalog and you can order it all online. Go to www.edenseeds.com.au and have a look - you can make a bulk order if you like (we did one just a couple of weeks ago) and include everything you will plant in the next twelve months so you're totally ready to go when the time for planting each vegetable comes.

Good luck.

Wed May 19, 2010 2:32 pm
Forum Moderator

Thanks for that,

I gues some of it is insipration without legs :)

I tried growing some spinach and lettuce in egg cartons from seed they sprouted nicely but the egg cartons dried out too quickly so things dried out and died rather rapidly - oops

On the fence I keep loking at the fence and keep thinking I should just finnish it off and then like you mentioned I could grow some climber plants up it.

Yes the plan is to have the fence finnished in a heavy duty chicken wire style so would be ideal.

I should post some pics and then others could nudge me along to keep working on it.

Wed May 19, 2010 8:42 pm
Forum Moderator

Hi Bernie,

definately agree with sketching up and idea of where you want your plants. permanent beds ( ie aspargus, rasberries, all things that you just plant the once )and rotational beds ( veges that die after their season is over)
It is important that you have picked a spot that gets about at least 6 hours sun a day ( unlike my small garden , which lacks as much growth as other people, :( )
Try to build your soil up with compost or manures and always mulch i use sugar cane mulch which does break down fairly quickly but feeds the soil , reduces weeds , and reduces how often you need to water as well.

One thing i would say, dont make your garden beds too wide as it makes it hard to do maintence on ,and your likely to damage plants if you have to climb into your garden to pick or weed.
Trial and error is the best way to learn you probably will have failures as all of us usually do from time to time but dont give up, the taste of sweet corn straight from the garden is a taste like no shop bought one will ever offer!!!
Tracey :D

Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 pm
Forum Moderator

Thanks for that Tracey,

I do have a reasonable spot for the garden - North side of the house and only a few conifers in a neighbours yard to the North west so I get plenty of direct sunshine at least till about lunch time in the winter and all day n the sumer (should realy be the other way around :(

Im just going to have to do something other than sicking my head in the engine bay of a Kombi for a change :oops:

and get dirty rather than greasy!!

Bernie

Wed May 19, 2010 10:30 pm
Forum Moderator

yeah, but not as much fun eh!! :lol:

Wed May 19, 2010 10:33 pm
Forum Moderator

I can safely say my Kombi now smells as bad as it runs :roll:

I picked up some cane mulch, a couple of bags of moo poo today, some cabbage seeds and a little thingy for growing seeds in. Will spread it all out tomorrow and plant some seeds :)

Im hopping to turn the cabage into saurkraut - my grandfather used to make the meanest kraut, Ive got to try and replicate it pitty he's not stil around

Fri May 21, 2010 7:24 pm
Forum Moderator

I wasn't quite sure what was in saurkraut, had heard of it but wasn't quite sure. so googled it .......finely shredded cabbage that has been fermented by various lactic acid bacteria :o

ummmmm........sounds yummmyyyy!!!! :lol:

Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 pm
Forum Moderator

My grandfatther used to just slice the cabbage up and put in a big bucket and he had a big chunk of wood he would mash the cabbage withwhile adding a cup or so of salt. Then put a towl over the top of the bucket and sit it in the back of his shed for a few months!!

delicious ;)

heres how you do it

http://www.wildfermentation.com/resourc ... sauerkraut

Sat May 22, 2010 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next