View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
New herb garden 
Green Thumb

Post New herb garden
Finally starting on my garden beds after being here for 8 months! :oops:

We've got a flat lawn right outside the house (15m x 25m) that I want to turn into raised garden beds and gravel paths - mostly herbs but also lettuce and small stuff like that, the bigger crops will be further from the house. And a big patch of rhubarb, which I'll fence to keep any straying animals away from it.

I've ordered 6 2mx0.8mx0.8m raised beds, as my worker (ie husband) isn't going to have a chance to make some for me :o They should arrive shortly and then I need to get to work so I can get it set up before the weather warms up :cheersarm

I'll eventually have more beds, but figured 6 will get me going! I was planning on getting them 0.5m high, but they were out of stock and so I thought I'll just add more 'stuff' to fill them (particularly as they offered the 0.8m high for the same price). All that horse poo compost, alpaca pellets and used straw bedding is going to come in handy :lol:

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm
Regular Gardner

Post Re: New herb garden
Awesome, Best thing you'll do.
I put a timber frame around mine so I could hang bird net and the strong frame has allowed me to use a net made from fishing line to hang the plants. Really worth the effort.
Or a cheaper way would be to use some pvc pipe with joiners to make a easy frame (would take some glue, hand saw and about 2 hours +plus pipe) and would give a good way to keep the criters away.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 pm
Green Thumb

I'll definitely be looking at your design for the stuff I need to net, looks awesome :thumbright that might take me some time though!

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 pm
Regular Gardner

I walked past a place the other day that had vege gardens backing onto a fence and they had a 20-25mm pvc conduit peged into the front at the bottom that went up and bent over till it touched the fence. I assume it sat over a screw or bolt into the fence. Not sure if you have a fence handy but I am thinking this will work for one of my beds and will take no time at all.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:06 am
Green Thumb

No fence! :|

Also looking at putting in a 10m greenhouse nearby, so might put my nettables in there..

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]