View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Raised Brick Beds 
Site Administrator

Post Raised Brick Beds
This is our garden, at the moment it looks a little sad due to the first frosts & i'm currently planting out my winter veggies

Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Raised Brick Beds
Nice, we are fortunate in our area to have an abundance of flitches(significant lumps of timber that are off cuts from the sleeper cutters) that the sleeper cutters are happy to give away, if not they just burn them, it is a bloody criminal waste of fantastic timber,don't get me started.

Anyway it is what we use for our raised beds, untreated, fantastic hardwood, bit of effort required to pick up and then shape but well worth it,

Will get the camera and computer literate other half to get some pics for you, have some amazing African Giant peas growing at the mo, would love to skite with some pics, not to mention my prolific Thai long green eggplants.

Sun May 16, 2010 6:57 pm
Site Administrator

Sounds great, i'm going to have a shot at growing thai eggplant next year, i wish we had people giving away free hardwood!
We get hammered by the frost so everything not frost resistant is now dead, only things i'm harvesting at the moment are leeks & snowpeas

Sun May 16, 2010 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

crikey, I am only just putting leaks and onions in, curently picking the earlier mentioned Thai eggplants, they are fantastic but their skin marks very easily, probably why you don't see them retailed,

The Giant russian peas are really good, incredibly prolific, again from Eden,

All our basils are on the way out but hello Coriander and dill,the last of the capos and quite a few volunteer tomatoes still being picked, have an awsome crop of rosellas, chutney tea and jam, yummo, lots of chillies, strting to pick the first outer leaves of english spinach, looking forward to this years brassicas.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:36 pm
Site Administrator

Wow - that timber sounds amazing!

Those Thai eggplants are great in Green Curry. It sounds like you have lots on the go - jealous! Our coriander has already gone to flower - I am waiting for it to seed so I can harvest the seeds for use in the kitchen.

Giant Russian peas sounds great - I look forward to seeing pictures!

Sun May 16, 2010 8:44 pm
Forum Moderator

I'm jealous of how much area you have already and only seen small snippets of it!!
Do you rotate your crops ?
And also, as you stated you get frosts. I have read Jackie Frenchs books ( all available from the libraries ) about how she deals with frost and some of her ideas might be worth reading, she talks about setting up microclimates within her garden and building walls that absorb heat during the day which release the heat when night falls hence protecting frost senstive plants .....
worth a read anyway....if your interested i will endeavour to find out the name of the book

Sun May 16, 2010 10:08 pm
Forum Moderator

p.s COOL KOMBI!!!! :D

Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 pm
Forum Moderator

As you can see my yard is tiny but i make as much use as i possibly can . I have a pipeline running behind my house which will be mine for the taking shortly (sorry gold coast city council) hope to grow some pumkins and watermelon when it is the right time

Sun May 16, 2010 10:34 pm
Site Administrator

We rotate our crops when we can. This year we plan to grow tomatoes, corn, pumpkins and melons in our chook pen (it is very large). It gives us extra growing space (we dont really have enough brick beds) and when everything has died back it will be great feed for the chickens.

Funny you mention Jackie French. My husband Cai grew up next door to her. According to him, she is not a very nice woman, but her garden is amazing. She manages to grow tropical stuff south of Canberra!

If you know the name of the book that would be great, but we can easily look it up online if you dont have it handy.

Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 am
Forum Moderator

Hi Em,

Couldn't find the book so i looked it up on the net . Its called BACKYARD SELF SUFFICIENCY . Quite a good read, I enjoyed it anyway, I've adopted some of her ideas with mass planting ,( due to the size of my garden) and growing as much vertically as I possibly can.
Funny how public perception of someone can be totally different to the personal one. !!! she talks in her book about new comers to the area and "weekenders" ( get a slight insight into her personallity)
Anyway besides that was full of information and I would recommend it

Tracey

Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next