View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Imi's little garden! 
Sprout

Post Imi's little garden!
This is my charming little garden in my backyard :)
Attachment:
File comment: This is the whole setup, complete with tarp to keep the harsh sunlight from my plants
SMDSC_0614.jpg
SMDSC_0614.jpg [ 52.45 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: This is the main part of the garden, with many different plants in the one bed.
SMDSC_0615.jpg
SMDSC_0615.jpg [ 63.77 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: This is the onion garden which I am likely to pull up in the near future. There is one lettuce plant in the corner.
SMDSC_0616.jpg
SMDSC_0616.jpg [ 62.58 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]

Enjoy!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:12 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Imi's little garden!
Great job imi, a nice little patch to work with. Are they callendula or marigolds against the fence line?
What type of onions are in. I never have any luck with them, but I fair better with the garlic.
I bet the farm property is a little more challenging.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm
Sprout

Those are marigolds :) Not sure how to harvest seeds from them, but do you want some if I can work it out? :P

The onion was white onion I believe and it has been struggling from the start. I prefer chives and leeks, never had luck with onion either.

The property garden is incredibly impressive, I'll get photos of that next time I go down there. I'm working every weekend so its difficult to go visit the property :( There is an entire 2m radius bed full of nusturcium, which is awesome but we have no need for that much of the one plant..

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm
Regular Gardner

That's a great little patch you have there. If things are struggling a little bit there could be competition from the tree roots. The onion family like a well drained soil. Mine is very sandy but like you and Jayups I have never had much success except with garlic.
As for the marigold seeds let the flower die and wait until everything dries out right to the stem. Next, pull out the dried petals. What remains is like a dried out cup full of dry stuff. Break the dried cup open and you will have a handful of long, narrow strips, paper thin that are mostly dark but have a white tip. They are your seeds. You must make sure every part of the flower is dried out to a brown colour though, so if you are vigilant with dead heading then either keep one plant for the purpose or one flower per plant if you want more colours. Happy experimenting, it's what brings half the fun to gardening. :sunny
Beware with nasturtium. 2m can very quickly become 20m! I have picked flowers, put them in a vase and watched the seeds develop - completely detached from the main plant. I have ripped plants out, tossed them under the orange tree thinking they would just die and help suppress weeds. But no, they somehow developed roots and continued on their merry little way growing under the orange tree. Not disastrous for me tho coz I'm only on a suburban block.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:55 pm
Sprout

Is that the same with all flowers?

Yes the nusturcium reseeded itself, was rather annoying as it took over the eggplant.

Yes, the tree did pose quite a problem, apparently the roots secrete a poison to kill other plants!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:23 pm
Forum Moderator

Looks like there is some space in that onion bed to raise the soil level and add some new good organic compost mix to get your next plantings kicking. Make it as deep as you can so the plants have something other than the soil below with the tree roots to grow in. It would probably suit your shallower root system vegies for that reason, lettuce, asian greens etc.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:37 pm
Sprout

Thanks! I will definitely go out and buy some stuff tomorrow, as I have no compost of my own :( I've also been meaning to get potting mix for my gardenia.. Looks like an all round Bunnings trip!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm
Forum Moderator

I've got a soft spot for the 'Sad plant' stand at our Bunnings. If I plan the right day (more often Mondays) I usually score fairly well for the vegie patch. Have fun and don't spend too much. A cheap bag of moo poo (cow poo) some organic compost and some vegie fertiliser is all you should need if you have no compost of your own.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:12 pm
Sprout

Haha yes I usually get good pickings of the sad plant rack also :)

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:56 pm
Regular Gardner

No not all flowers seed the same. Post the names of the plants you want seeds from and someone here will be able to help you. Propagation is one of my gardening sicknesses so will help as much as I can.
If you are going to build up your onion bed might be an idea to line it with geo fabric (from plumbing supply stores) to prevent the roots of the tree getting into all the good stuff you put down. It's not very expensive and will save the disappointment of losing more plants. What type of tree is it?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next