View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Cackleberry's Garden 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Cackleberry's Garden
Hi everyone, thought I'd post some pics of my garden here. It's still early beginnings as we just moved here in December.

This is a view looking from the top of the 'Veggie Patch'. I currently have in Beans, Shallots, Cabbages, Bush Tomatoes, capsicums, chillies, pumpkin, asparagus, parsley and garlic. I've just pulled all my lettuce as they'd gone to seed. Eventually, when I have more beds up and running I'll let some beds go to seed. I've got some pineapples there in pots, waiting for me to plant in the ground too.

This is 'The Girl's' area. There are two giant liquid ambers in this area that used to be the dog camp. We've just had a few good storms so have lost quite a few of the branches. We're considering removing them altogether. If so I may then turn this area into my Orchard come chook/duck run.

And here are my darling girls ..
Big Red the Isa and Rosie & Lucy Peckins (with the wind up their skirts ;) ). Don't know where Ruby Red was at the time but atm we're really only able to tell them apart by the bands on their legs LOL!

The two whites are Silkies X (with what we have no idea). They've got a real 'Rhianna hairstyle' look to them LOL! They've been sitting under the tractor, and currently have black grease on their heads. Here's Pearlie (I think .. again, they're hard to tell apart :D )

Hubby's currently in the process of getting some Angus steers that we will feed up and butcher later on down the track. Anyway, thought I'd share our latest adventure. Hopefully I can drop in and get some helpful tips from everyone here.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: Cackleberry's Garden
Looks amazing so jelous of your nice green yard & lovely chickens :)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Love it, what a nice looking block of land. Your raised veggie garden beds look amazing, great to plan and work with, even for a start. What do you do with your bush tomato's?
Your Silky cross looks like it might have Araucana in it, but could probably be anyones guess really. Love the fluffy wind swept bums on the pekins too. :lol:
Thanks for sharing.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:06 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks Cai, we're very lucky to have a lot of rainfall here on the coast. Then again, this year really has been a bit too much LOL!

Sorry Jayups, when I say bush tomatoes I mean the smaller cherry type tomatoes. I call them bush because they're a compact little plant. In fact they're too compact to even bag the fruit, so I rarely get anything off them. I don't know why I insist on planting them LOL

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Lyn, your garden has the prettiest outlook and you have a brillant aspect for a vegie garden .... so much sunshine .. !! looks great well done.

At least with your liquid ambers you would have heaps of leaves for the compost heap!! ;)

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

That's what I thought myself OllieGirl. Wow! All those leaves for compost LOL! Unfortunately the size and amount of the branches that have been falling every time we get a good storm are a bit dangerous. The Arbourist who came out said that now that the one side of the tree is damaged, the wind will blow right through and take out the other side of the tree. Sad but I'm thinking it's definitely time to have them removed. However if this is the case I'll be replanting a nice little orchard there to make up for the loss.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

What a lovely little spot you have. I too am jealous of the green! An orchard sounds like a great idea, and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures!

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]