View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Border trees 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Border trees
I forgot to add the reason I didn't choose Leylands was due to their massive thirst and that if you dont keep them in check, they can grow to rediculuous proportions.

Thanks for the info re: hayfever on photinias aussiehen. My wife has had terrible hay fever this year and we have a large group of them just outside our bedroom. They are now coming out as soon as we find suitable relacements.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 am
Green Thumb

Luceane Trees, multi purpose and apparently fire retardent

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:02 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

You could try Tagasaste (Tree Lucern) I just bought some seeds from Green Harvest so am yet to try it, but I've read that they make a good wind break, have nice flowers hence attracting bees and birds and the branches/leaves can be used as fodder for animals. Worth looking into :D

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

cackleberry wrote:
You could try Tagasaste (Tree Lucern) I just bought some seeds from Green Harvest so am yet to try it, but I've read that they make a good wind break, have nice flowers hence attracting bees and birds and the branches/leaves can be used as fodder for animals. Worth looking into :D

I am planning on replacing our pine tree with Tree Lucerne as it is so versatile. I have been trying to raise trees from seed for the past two years. They are tough mostly because slugs and any flying bugs absolutely LOVE the seedlings, make sure wherever you put them that they are completely protected. A light layer of sand on top of the pot is good for the slugs and a cut off soft drink bottle makes a nice protective cover. :)

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2