View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Out The Back At My Place 
Green Thumb

Post Out The Back At My Place

and now 99% weed free :cheersarm

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:54 am
Site Administrator

Post Re: Out The Back At My Place
Looks great!

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:59 am
Green Thumb

Thanks Em, getting ready for Melbourne Cup Day, always have a few gardening friends over for a nice lunch and gardening banter LOL

ALL WELCOME TO ATTEND

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 am
Forum Moderator

You , are one heck of a gardener!! Love the layered effect of your plantings, so many different plants and no doubt surprises everywhere you look, Well done , if i lived closer i would have loved to come visit your garden in person. i love many types of garden styles but yours represents a true plant lover not just because you have put so much work into your garden , but the species you have chosen is because the flower, colour , texture all have strong connection to your senses . Its hard to put so many differing types of plants together and pull it together, but you have! Well done :thumbright

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:26 pm
Green Thumb

Aww thanks Ollie :oops:

Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 am
Green Thumb

What a lovely space, you have done well :)

Do you find planting so close, reduces weeds? Its an experiment I'm using for the flower beds I'm re building, looking at filling each up as I go rather then spreading things out, in the vein hope it might reduce weeding over time.

Some thoughts from someone who has done it before would be great :)

At the moment, half our flower beds are more like wild meadows. I would rather plant seeds and watch them grow then weed :)

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm
Forum Moderator

It can work for some type of plants .....(ones that tend to be more upright in growth) but you need to look towards long term and the actual spread of a plant as they wont grow as well if too chockas as they are competeing for nutrient/light/water. If you are wanting a quick growing garden you cant beat a native garden .....but the trick is buy the youngest / smallest plant as opposed to buying a mature plant as the stress will slow the growth and it will not adapt as easily as a small /fresh plant. I personally have done this before in my garden in warwick and the results were amazing , within a year the smaller plant out grows its mature more expensive one ... patience unfortunely is the name of the game and mulch feed and water.

i bet if you looked at The estate's garden when newly planted it would have looked sparse compared to now it has just matured with structure with each plant given enough room to grow to its optimum size.

Read up to see the width and height of each plant your thinking of using if you require any help ...just ask.
Carrie wrote:
What a lovely space, you have done well :)

Do you find planting so close, reduces weeds? Its an experiment I'm using for the flower beds I'm re building, looking at filling each up as I go rather then spreading things out, in the vein hope it might reduce weeding over time.

Some thoughts from someone who has done it before would be great :)

At the moment, half our flower beds are more like wild meadows. I would rather plant seeds and watch them grow then weed :)

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm
Green Thumb

Yes after I prune the roses there are lots of gaps but these fill in rapidly when Spring arrives till the end of Autumn, and by that time I get even get into it to weed :lol:

Here are a few samples of after pruning :cheersarm

However upon saying that , yes MASS planting keeps the weeds at bay :twisted:

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:08 am
Green Thumb

Thanks guys for the input. I have started off with small plants, and have spaced them out at the moment, but some minor adjustments might be requried. Its more a long term plan, but wanted to see if my theory was sort of right :)

I'm trying out marigolds for a weed exclusion zone for the boarders to try and prevent grass getting into the garden.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:09 am
Green Thumb

they are also great in the veggie beds too :)

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next