View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
does anyone grow ranunculus? 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post does anyone grow ranunculus?
Happy Spring everyone

I need to mass plant some colour in my garden in the gaps and was thinking of these. Does anyone grow these? Last spring I had strawflowers but they didn't come through this year. Am going to add some proteas (leucadendrons) for foliage colour but need some tough (meaning drought & frost hardy) flowers. Maybe daisies is the go? I've got some kangaroo paw which look great but they are not too attractive over winter (and only just starting to recover now)....

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:52 am
Forum Moderator

Post Re: does anyone grow ranunculus?
Zaza, I have grown ranunculus in the past. I only got one season out of them as I didn't pull them up & put them in the fridge over winter. However, that was down here in Melb.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 pm
Regular Gardner

I have grown ranunculus, and like Jayups only managed 1 season. They are very pretty. I have the orange California poppy that starts flowering here in Perth about mid winterish. Not sure if they are perennial but I have 2 plants that have been self maintaining for some 6 years at least. The leaves are a very attractive delicate blue/grey. I also have geranium incana which is not as tall but also very pretty with smallish pink flowers and delicate attractive green leaves. They are biennial at least, sometimes lasting longer. I have seeds for both if you are interested. I don't know how to use pm but if someone points me in the right direction to figure it out, send me your details and I'll post some. BTW I don't have frost issues so can't help you with that but anything that lives in my garden has to have some degree of drought tolerance.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm
Forum Moderator

I agree with HG about californian poppys, hardy pretty spread easily. I have had a multitude of colours but any seeds spread revert to orange. Will attach a photo soon.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:29 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Hey HG and Jaysup - love the californian poppy. They are in abundance at my local post office and always wondered what they were. I read on the net that they come in red & orange too. I am trying to stick with autumn colours in my garden so got very excited until i read that because they spread easily they shouldn't be grown near bushland - and guess what? I am on acreage surrounded by bush. :cry:

very, very disappointed. excellent suggestion otherwise.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:34 pm
Forum Moderator

Oh well, I won't bother loading the photo's of the poppies then.
Back to the drawing board.
Bulbs - some sparaxis and Ixias have great autumn colours and can be grown without pulling up the bulbs over winter. (They come up each year here)
or how about Nasturtums?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:09 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

awesome :cheersarm
I haven't seen sparaxis or ixia before. And they come in my colour scheme too. I also love nasturtums too but thought my area (near Canberra) may be too cold and summers can be really hot. But maybe if i plant nasturtums seeds after the last frost (ie now) then that should be okay until the next cold weather hits.

As for sparaxis and ixia - i think i am going to go shopping. The sparaxis is south african. Well, the proteas love it at my place so perhaps so would sparaxis. The ixia looks tall, does it need to be staked?
do you have both in your garden?

thanks heaps !!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 pm
Regular Gardner

Too bad. I live in the burbs so a lot of what I have is very promiscuous. That way I can have garden with minimal effort  :D  The only type of plant i can think of that would suit you will cause problems being near a bush block.  Nasturtiums would be another one that would spread in bushland if they behave the same in the east as in the west. However, there are a lot of natives that you could use that have stunning flowers. Some that we have here in the west are hypocalymma, leschenaultia, pimelea (avoid if you have livestock) eremophila, hovea, hardenbergia, brachysome and if you are into the autumn theme then egg and bacon plant. Most of these start flowering in winter - here. Our council put out a pamphlet on natives that will do well in our area as a waterwise incentive. Gives names, sizes, flowering time and colour, bird attracting etc. Might be worth asking your council if they have one.Will see if I can track down either a pamphlet or web address if you want. 
p.s. I grow sparaxis they have seeds much like freesias & will grow in paving cracks. Have read ixia can be pretty invasive too.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 pm
Forum Moderator

Yes Ixia's are tall, but I haven't had to stake mine because they are planted in a tight clump, bulbs nice and deep. I only have pale sky blue ones too (no warm colours unfortunately). I also haven't had any problem with either the sparaxis or the ixia's spreading yet, after 3 years. I wish they would, so I could share them around my garden and some for others too.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am
Regular Gardner

Jayups, do you remove the flowers or lift the bulbs on the sparaxis after flowering? I am not physically able ATM and they form seed capsules exactly like the freesias do giving me lots of new babies. Maybe it's a climate thing?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next