View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Pear despair 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Pear despair
Hey there, have not been on here in ages, but I'm after some advice before I go postal and tear all the fruit trees out of my yard.

Is there *any* way of making sure I get an edible crop out of my apple and pear trees apart from drowning them in chemicals?????????? They're both in the chook run and I'd rather not spray indiscriminately anyway.

Case in point, the cockatoos actually left me some pears (they and the rosellas et al got all the apples this year), so I thought "hey let's get out the vacola unit and bottle some of those pears!!" They usually stay green and hard for ages, then overnight go yellow, pulpy and fall off. So I picked them somewhat green and reasoned spending 6months in a light sugar syrup would fix them up :D
So they looked like the first 'outside' picture. But when you sit them open, they're pretty much all like the 'inside' pic or worse.

Coddlin moth I can deal with, cut the infested core away and all good, but these are mottled brown all the way thru. No point preserving this type of fruit....

So something is getting at them, can anyone suggest what, based on the pics. If there is a light-chemical alternative that won't poison the chooks I'm happy to listen. Not completely against sprays, but the bees were very light on in my yard this year and I dont want to add to that problem.

Help!! :shock:

Attachments:
File comment: Nice, unmarked, lovely, right?
Outside.jpg
Outside.jpg [ 116.59 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
File comment: What they looked like as I cut them open
inside.jpg
inside.jpg [ 116.5 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]
Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:30 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Pear despair
It might be " bitter pit"

Apparently caused by a calcium deficiency, which happens during periods of stress in the plant (the plant allegedly sucks calcium out of the fruit in order to survive)

We have a similar issue with apples :( never really looked into it as it is less of a problem for us than fruit fly.

There is apparently so e kind of calcium spay you can Apple to the foliage of the tree don't know if it's detrimental to the chooks though.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:10 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Pear despair
Looks more like a deficiency than a pest to me too. On another note a lot of people have been having problems with poor quality fruit due to the intense summer we have just had. Don't pull them out yet. Next summer may be kinder. Perhaps some trace elements now and in Spring might help with deficiencies too. Check the ph of the soil too. All that chook poo might have thrown it out and if the ph is out then certain elements get locked up.

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]