View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Fluff / Mould on Apple Tree 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Fluff / Mould on Apple Tree
I have noticed lately that my Pink Lady apple tree has small bits of a fluff type stuff on some of the branches.
It is still fruiting but I am not sure what it is.
I can rub it off and the tree appears to be healthy underneath it.
Any ideas among the Gourmet Backyard brains trust as to what it may be? :hmm

"Only A Biker Knows Why A Dog Sticks His Head Out Of A Car Window."

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:58 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Fluff / Mould on Apple Tree
WIth the wet weather I would guess its some kind of mould :(

MAybe post a photo of it Geoff.

Bernie

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:51 pm
Regular Gardner

Sounds like wooly aphids to me. Horrid things :roll: this site shows a photo and out lines treatment...
http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011 ... 202377.htm

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:29 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks Homegroan.
That hit the nail on the head.
Looks like I'll be going shopping for something to treat it.
Has anyone else had the same problem?
Do you have a product of choice?

"Only A Biker Knows Why A Dog Sticks His Head Out Of A Car Window."

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:36 pm
Forum Moderator

I have just noticed an abundance of normal aphids on the young leaves of my apple tree, and one lone ladybeetle trying to do her thing. I am hoping her mates will notice she's got a party all to herself and come over.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm
Regular Gardner

If it's only just appeared and there is a small amount you could google organic treatments. Another name for them I think is mealy bug and they can get all over the root system of some plants. I get them on the roots of my osteospermum, gazania, amaranth, comfrey and goodness knows what else. Most times I ignore it or just pull the whole thing up and bin it. I have heard that you can use a cotton bud dipped in metho to rub onto them to kill them. I have also just discovered diatomaceous earth that you can read about here... http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcont ... _info.html I would consider this if you have them in the roots. Just be aware that it will kill the good guys too. It is mined in QLD so you shouldnt have too much trouble tracking some down. Another thing you need to watch out for is ants. They love  the 'nectar' that any aphid produces and will work at spreading them wherever they can. I believe DE works on them too. 
Hope you get onto it and squash them into oblivion. Give them my worst regards while you are at it!
Just a note on DE - it has many applications for livestock too. Internally and externally. Have just started using it on my chooks. Will see if I can find a better website and post it.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:55 pm
Regular Gardner

Forgot to mention to only use food grade DE not the stuff they use in pools. here is another site that expands on it's uses.
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
(I am using it to brush my teeth at the moment and have no more issues with an area that was becoming painfully sensitive.)

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:17 pm
Forum Moderator

sounds like mealy bug, use a horticultural oil( like ego oil or use your own receipe ) Try to use oil base products in the later afternoon as they can burn your plants if done in blazing hot sun. Use regularly as the nymph (baby mealy bug) is very tiny and will appear in new growth away from the adult female..Males mealy bug is actually a flying bug.
as they are sap sucking insects and they will if left actually cause a sooty mould ... like scale does ..
They quite often work in conjunction with ants, which eat the secretion that they leave behind and the ants will protect the mealy bug/scale from the beneficial bugs in return for the sweet nectar! and in doing so walk through the secretion ,and walk it all over the plant and that is what turns black..

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]