View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Raspberries 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Raspberries
I only have 8 plants in the ground, but they're going gangbusters atm. The kids have been picking a handful every few days, but not enough to do anything with. I could freeze them I guess (If I can get to them first LOL)!

As for the dogs eating them, they haven't spotted them yet thank goodness, however, if they see a Tomato, it's theirs. Even the bloody potatoes. If I turn my back for a moment they've nicked one out of the basket and are gnawing away at it. Little buggers :D

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

hello - those rasberries look good. I too would like to try growing these. Would be keen to see any pics of how you do this. I've got an old metal trellis that I was thinking of sticking in the ground in the vegie patch.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:36 am
Forum Moderator

Zaza,

Raspberries are spread by runners, so where ever you are planning to plant them, either make sure you have a large area for them to cover, or you can confine them by planting them in something. They will also send runners out from the bottom of the pot.
Mine is in a self watering pot, and I plan to divide and increase the amounts of pots I have for them to grow in.
They seem to like a fair bit of water, which is why they've probably had a good season this year.

Each year after the end of the season you cut back the dead stems that the fruit has grown on as they won't fruit again. If you buy a runner to plant, you may have to wait 2 years for your first fruit. I did as fruit only grows on 2nd year stems.

Maybe start off with a pot full and then after your first lot of fruit decide if you want to ground plant.

I'll post some photo's when I cut back later in the year.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

a pot is a good idea. how big are your pots?
I have an old bath tub that I could stick them in too. but I think a pot for starters is the way for me to go.
Would love to see any photos - thanks

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm
Forum Moderator

No go the bath tub, thats a great idea. I will mesure the pot tomorrow, but if it had of been bigger I would have got a better harvest this year.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Picked a nice 'shirt-full' of raspberries this morning. Popped them in the freezer so I can collect a nice batch to make my own rasberry jam. :D

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2