View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Fruit Tree Advice please 
Sprout

Post Fruit Tree Advice please
Hi All, well I decided that after 3 years of thinking about it this year I would really put an effort in to get an orchid growing. I purchased and planted 26 fruit trees including apricots, plums, nectarines, apples, lemons, mulberry,cherry and peaches. I also planted 6 golden ash trees for some shade.

We are now nearly at summer and only around 6 of the trees have leaves on them. All but 1 tree was purchased from food lovers in Bungendore. I have never planted fruit trees before, but I dug huge holes and filled them with a mixture of the existing good quality top soil, some mushroom compost and some turkey compost mixed in. I used water saving crystals on all of them, and have been watering them twice a week.

Have I done something wrong? why have only some got leaves and others nothing. The golden ash all appear to be dead, the tops of the trees have turned grey and have not developed any buds at all. Most are in a fenced area with muscovy ducks, others are in my chook runs.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Fruit Tree Advice please
you might have been loving them too much. I don't know what your turkey compost is like but it might have been a bit too strong for the new roots especially if in a poultry run which would already be highly fertilised, and unless you have very well drained soil then twice a week while dormant may have left them with wet feet also causing root damage. have you looked at the roots of any of those which are not growing? Perhaps dig up one of the golden ash and see how wet the soil is, if it smells sour, and if there is any new root formation.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:56 pm
Sprout

Thanks Guzzi, The turkey compost came from the local landscape place. That is what he recommended and the guy selling me the trees looked at it and said it would be great. Maybe I did water them too much, I will dig some up tomorrow and have a look at the roots.
It did take me about a week after I got them to get them all in the ground and I had them in an old bathtub with dirt and sawdust and I did keep them very wet. I also soaked in a bucket of water for an hour or so before I planted them and then watered them well also. So maybe it was just tooo much water darn it :)
Oh well expensive lesson learnt

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 pm
Green Thumb

I am so sorry to hear that t-race - devestating. I too planted an orchard of 24 trees this year with no prior experience! I am upset that out of that I have two that have not come to life so I can see how upsetting it is for you after all that work. I know chicken poo is too strong for planting into directly - maybe turkey poo is not so potent. I did try to get them in the ground within days of purchase. What type of soil do you have? I have clay which was great during the winter to keep them moist but dries very quickly in the heat so have had to apply water in the dry periods quite generously. I have tried to stick to a seasol regimen as well - highly recommend. Be interesting to dig up and see the roots - maybe enquire if the nursery has had any negative feedback?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Have a read of this:

http://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/ ... your-trees

And check out their other articles while you are at it.

Cheers,
Alan

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Moderator

Thats a bugger T-race :(

sounds like a little too much lovin ;)

Wit the great weather we have been having they definantly shoul have all sprung to life by now - but fingers crossed they could be late bloomers :o

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 pm
Green Thumb

I would get back to the people you bought them off in case it was a bad batch and others had the same problem. You might get your money back or replacements. It wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:37 pm
Site Administrator

A good way to tell is to snap off some timber from the very edge & if it snaps easily then its dead if it bends then there is life in it still :)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]