View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Leaf curl on our nectarine tree 
Regular Gardner

Post Leaf curl on our nectarine tree
We have a nectarine tree that has pretty bad leaf curl, we have tried to treat it over the last few seasons, but its not getting better. Is it possible that the tree is so badly diseased that we cant fix it and need to remove it?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:01 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Leaf curl on our nectarine tree
My lemon orange tree (its a grafted double) is curling and yellow in leaves its been very wet where it stands. Is yours sitting in damp earth?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm
Regular Gardner

No I wouldn't say its in overly damp soil, the other fruit trees around it are all doing well, even the nectarine tree right next to this sick one is good. We sprayed the tree with a copper based spray right as the leave buds appeared at the start of spring but it hasn't worked.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 pm
Site Administrator

I'll ask my folks, see what they recommend :)

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

If the leaves are yellow but still have green veins it is usually a sign of iron deficiency. Best treatment is an iron supplement such as chelated iron (which is readily soluble).

Of course the best tonic for lemon trees is to pee on them regularly!

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:26 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator

I did spot this pdf by the department of agriculture http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/h ... /leaf-curl

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:37 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Thanks Cai - that's just confirmed what I have seen on the brand new leaves of my bare rooted peach :cry: Will get on that right away!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

ditty wrote:
We sprayed the tree with a copper based spray right as the leave buds appeared at the start of spring but it hasn't worked.

Have had the same curly leaf issue with my peach. It's a fungal thing, and the copper spray is effective upon repeated applications (once a year, just after budding). Mine was horrible 3 years ago, but it gets better every year after spraying with the copper solution.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:55 pm
Regular Gardner

We have it in our Saturn Peach as well.

This year we sprayed with the copper based fungicide and also removed by hand all the infected leaves. We are just waiting now to see how this treatment works.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 am
Green Thumb

Found this as a good description of the curse http://www.sgaonline.org.au/?p=186 but funnily enough opened our local paper yesterday and there was the exact same question in the gardening column. The reply was that there is hope after bud swell by using Kelp powder solution eight times, every 5-7 days. Damaged leaves fall off and strong new ones take their place. I went in to buy it today from the garden centre and spoke to the writer of the article and she said they have used this on all their dwarf nectarine and peach with amazing success - she says dwarfs are most vulnerable. Then next winter definitely do a winter wash with copper and white oil to clean up the spores. Seasol is apparently quite good to use on the leaves but the kelp solution is more powerful and effective. Bad year for this everywhere!

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next