View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Ailing apricot 
Sprout

Post Ailing apricot
Hi folks
I have a 2-year old apricot tree which flowered, grew leaves and branches last year with no problems. I pruned the leaders when all the leaves were yellow last autumn. This spring all the branches flowered (there are 4 main, each with 2 laterals each) but only 2 laterals developed leaves. All the leaves on one of the branches have since withered and dried up. Cutting open one of the branches which did not get leaves I can see that the wood appears normal (no discolouration). Any ideas on what caused this? The peach, nectarine and plums which are close by are fine so I don't think it's anything to do with fertiliser, drainage or amount of watering as all have received the same treatment.

Thanks
ChookFarmer

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:08 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Ailing apricot
That sounds very strange. No help here I'm afraid. Have you tried doing a search for apricot diseases?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:47 am
Forum Moderator

I believe with apricots, on advice from an arborist, that they are one of the only stone fruit tree's that should be pruned immediately after finishing fruiting. It's taken 2 years for my apricots to recover from being pruned late. Looking forward to some this year for sure.
Good luck.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:32 am
Sprout

Thanks guys for the replies. I have hope as the branch wood looks healthy. It could have been the late frost we had which knocked some of the blossoms off and another frost burned the leaves. Will see how it goes!'
Cheers

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]