View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ginger Beer Recipe Non Alcoholic 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Ginger Beer Recipe Non Alcoholic
well I just cracked open a bottle to give it ago. It took about 5 minutes to open the bottle fully I had to crack the lid a little unitll the bubbles reached the cap than screwed it back tight again till the bubbles subsided then repeated hat proces untill the bubbles no longer came up the neck of he bottle.

Ohh I did ad some chamoagne yeast after I bottled it to speed the carbonation process up a bit as there did not appear to be anything happening from wild yeast.

Tatsted great !! And NO mouthfull of bubbles :lol:

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:12 pm
Forum Moderator

saabman wrote:
well I just cracked open a bottle to give it ago. It took about 5 minutes to open the bottle fully I had to crack the lid a little unitll the bubbles reached the cap than screwed it back tight again till the bubbles subsided then repeated hat proces untill the bubbles no longer came up the neck of he bottle.

Ohh I did ad some chamoagne yeast after I bottled it to speed the carbonation process up a bit as there did not appear to be anything happening from wild yeast.

Tatsted great !! And NO mouthfull of bubbles :lol:

Wild yeast? You tried a lambic GB?!?!?!?

That's my preferred method of opeing too :lol:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 am
Green Thumb

Well done :clap

Its my preference for opening as well, although Dales version is quite entertaining :)

Doing a new brew of ginger beer this weekend, have to have an on going supply now, quite tasty :)

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:50 pm
Forum Moderator

Next time Carrie we need it videod :D

Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Thatd the whole point of the ginger beer plant. feeding it the sugar and ginger over a period of time in a open container is to give a chance for the yeast to grow in a controled fashion.

The amount of yeast in the finaly product is rather small as you are realy only trying to get enough to produce the carbonation once bottled.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:50 pm
Green Thumb

saabman wrote:
Quote:

Thatd the whole point of the ginger beer plant. feeding it the sugar and ginger over a period of time in a open container is to give a chance for the yeast to grow in a controled fashion.

The amount of yeast in the finaly product is rather small as you are realy only trying to get enough to produce the carbonation once bottled.

sultanas will provide yeast for your ginger beer.

Ginger Beer

Plant Recipe

Ingredients
8 or 9 sultanas
Juice of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon lemon pulp
2 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons sugar
2 cups cold water

Method
Add all the ingredients to a large (holds 3 cups water) screw top glass jar. Stir, screw on lid and leave in a warm place to ferment. In warm weather this takes approx 3 days, under cooler conditions 5 to 6 days. A little froth on the top of the mixture and tiny bubbles rising from the bottom of the bottle indicate when fermentation is taking place. The plant must be fed with 4 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of ginger every day for one week. Do not miss a single day.

Making the ginger beer

Ingredients
4 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
Juice of 4 lemons (medium sized)
28 cups cold water

Method
Into a plastic bucket place the sugar and boiling water. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then add the lemon juice. Line a large strainer with muslin or cheesecloth. Strain the liquid from the ginger beer plant into the bucket. Gather up the edges of the cloth and squeeze dry. Set a side the residue.

Add the cold water and stir well. Fill glass screw top bottles leaving a 2.5 - 3cm gap a the top of the bottle. This quantity makes approx 10 - 12 bottles. Screw the tops on the bottles ands store in a cool place for approx 2 weeks. Divide the residue from the ginger beer plant in half and place in 2 jars. Add two cups of cold water to each plant and feed as before.

The fermentation process
Careful monitoring of the fermentation process is the key to maximising flavour and avoiding exploding bottles. The yeast occurring naturally on the surface of the sultanas increases as it feeds on the sugar in the plant mix. In the process carbon dioxide is formed, precipitation carbonation as well as producing a very small amount of alcohol.

The sugar added to the plant, and to the drink mixture itself, continues the fermentation process until the appropriate taste and degree of carbonation is arrived at. If too much sugar is added to the mixture the number of yeast organisms will multiply dramatically possibly causing the bottles to explode. Exploding bottles tend to be more common where bakers yeast, rather than sultanas, is used.

The sediment which accumulates in the bottom of the bottles is mainly dead yeast cells, the aftermath of the fermentation process.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:23 pm
Forum Moderator

saabman wrote:
Quote:

Real GBP (symbiotic colonies of bacteria and yeast in a ginger substrate) are notoriously hard to make because the wild yeasts are really unpredictable (unless you live in Belgium where the wild yeasts are predictable)- the kind of things that can make home brew go nasty. If you've managed to make a good working proper GBP you should cherish it! It would be worth a fair bit to keep to alive and sell. I only use commercial yeasts because you are guaranteed a good final product.

Guzzigirl: the other alternative to using raisins is to use fresh wine grapes. Or apparently even homegrown ginger (I've never tried, but it's supposed to have natural yeast on the outside like grapes).

Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Forum Moderator

Ill get to play with wild yeasts a bit more once my cabage is grown and I start making some saurkraut :D

I have a feeling it was the sultanas that were missing from my original plant simply because I didnt have any :lol:

What Ive ended up with has been prety good but in reality it was only ginger powder and sugar water with the yeast added once bottled. I have plans to make an alcoholic version for which I will use champagne yeast to do the hard work.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2