View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Anyone Got a Still? 
Regular Gardner

Post Re: Anyone Got a Still?
My Dad's got one of these things and he is very happy with the grog it produces ... he uses the essences and actually prefers his "whiskey" to the bought stuff. My sisters buys her own essences and uses it on Dad's surplus fire-water (see Slim, it is water purification ;) ) ... she makes it into all sorts of flavoured liquers. My Mum also makes a really nice limoncello from the base.

As for me, I won't touch any of their booze except for the limoncello.

Actually just remembered an interesting and nice one ... Mum also made a similar infusion with rosellas (don't know the recipe, but it was sweet so would have included the rosellas to infuse and a fair wack of sugar syrup me thinks). Had a taste of this a few months back it was quite delicious.

So if you're up for some experimentation, I think you could have a lot of fun ... with a lot of taste testing of course. :)

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:08 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Hi Guy's, yes we have a still. We're currently in the throws of trying to find the right 'essence' for my hubby's Scotch. He likes Johnny Red. We've been mixing all types of essences in the hope of stumbling across the right one. We've also made numerous other liqueurs and I just love my Gin.

I initially wanted the still to make pure alcohol for my Limoncello (which might I say is GORGEOUS). So much more flavour than using the store-bought vodka (40%).

So if anyone has any questions, drop me a note.

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I want to try making grapefruit cello as my folks always have an oversupply of grapefruit :)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:37 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I currently make Grapefruit Cordial but Grapefruit-cello sounds really nice. I'm thinking I'll hack the tree back this year as its covered in scale and black mould (hence the skins of the grapefruit were not suitable to use for a liqueur). Good idea though!

Currently in possession of 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 cats, lost track of the chickens, now there's just alot .

Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

I can get you plenty of good grapefruit should you want to give it a try :)

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

I'm up on the Mid North Coast so I don't know if the 'transport' would be worth it. But thanks for the offer. I'm thinking of putting in a Ruby Red Grapefruit too so if that eventuates, I should have plenty D:

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

A friend of my father used to have have Still, apparently it was a rather large copper setup which he used to produce some wonderful Vodkas

During the 80's the police annouced an amnesty on Stills so my Dads friend decided to do do right thing and called them. Apparently the story goes that the local constable rolled up in the squad car expecting to pick up a little setup and was greeted with a setup taking up half a large shed.

Within the hour the entire street was closed and the bomb squad was sent in to dismantle it, my father's friend couldn't understand what the fuss was all about as he was given a good talking to by the police but under the term of amnesty he got off scott free.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:18 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

LOL! I guess it will only be a matter of time before the Government switch on to all the home brewers (beer included). I assume that having bought a still through a registered Brewing Business it isn't considered Illegal. I asked the guy if we needed a license or something and he said 'As long as you're not selling it to your mates, you don't need one'.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

That would have been funny to see Ric ;)

in australia as the law currently stands it is illeagal to distill alcohol. To distill alcohol you need a licence and must pay excise (tax) currently at a rate of $71/litre :o

But it is not illeagal to own a still of less than 5 liters capacity for the purposes of purifying water or extracting esential oils.

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/66216.htm

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2