View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
All grain? 
Sprout

Post All grain?
Just wondering if anyone here has taken to the All Grain brewing? After reading a few posts it seems everyone is a "kit & kilo" brewer?

It is definitely a time difference, the last AG brew I did was a "triple decoction" like the German brewers use (extra caramelisation/darker colours without the roasty taste etc).. It took me 8 hours from start to finish, but I wasn't standing there the entire time, reading, cleaning, drinking, music etc makes the time fly!

If anyone is keen on making the move, it's quite cheap to get started with BIAB (Brew In A Bag)!

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:45 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: All grain?
I've thought about Jurt but as you mentioned the time factor is certainly the main constraint.

How does the BIAB method work?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:54 pm
Sprout

Basically it's a method of AG brewing that only requires 1 pot and can be done on the stovetop!

I started out with a 19 litre masterchef pot from Big W, got a BIAB bag fro the brew shop, basically you heat your water to a few degrees above your target mash temp (it's called strike temperature), and then you stir in the milled grains, cover it and leave for an hour to infuse (I could fit the pot in the oven on 66 degrees).

When it's done, pull the bag slowly and let it drain into another pot or bucket etc, start heating the liquid to a boil.

From this point you can sparge or rinse the grains in the bag, or dry for making food, or compost it, if sparking/rinsing, you add the liquid to the main pot, and boil. Add hop additions, finnings etc.

The difficult part is getting it down to "pitching" temp. There are various ways of chilling, but they get expensive. No Chill is the process of using a clean 20L willow water "jerry" can (usually blue) and siphoning the hot wort into the container to chill overnight/for as long as you desire to leave it.

I've since moved to a 3Vessel system, but I am now looking at a 3v "HERMS" rig.. Basically it's electric and recirculates the mash liquid through a heat exchanger in the HLT to maintain temp!

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:03 am
Forum Moderator

thta sounds like its getting complicated Jurt.

Ive been rather slack in the brewing department this last year. Ive only managed to get 2 batches of plum wine on the go - which reminds me I should realy have a taste of them and see how things are going>

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:42 pm
Sprout

Apple cider from roadside harvest was a huge success earlier this year. As for beer, I've gone as far as growing hops - but have to wait till next March or so for my first decent harvest LOL

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]