View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Handy hints for your veggie garden 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Handy hints for your veggie garden
If you follow the http://www.canberra-anglers.asn.au/ , they do carp removal from the Burly Griffin lake from time to time and throw them away. You can collect as much as you want and bury them in your veggie patch. I am actually thinking to do this. You can even bury it to your compost bin or pile.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

This little Cod and its bigger brother were less than pleasant when the dog dug them up a week later,

The fence around our vege patch is not just to keep the chooks away from my veges...
Now, all the 'dead things' get buried in the vege patch (fish frames, prawn/cray scraps, goat offal, culled poultry etc)

I guess my "Handy Hint" would be to fence off your vege growing area :lolb

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Don't tell me that you buried the whole cod...

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

gyeniceri wrote:
Don't tell me that you buried the whole cod...

Gawd NO... that would be Criminal :surp

That cod served us many fine meals... BBQed, Curried, Beer battered...mmmmm

We only bury the frames... and with a frame and skull the size of that... it is a lot of stinking rotted partially decomposed fish to dig up !

Be assured, when we go fishing, we dont fish to fill our freezer, we fish to bring home a few meals at a time, that way, we get to go out and do it more often... always a bonus when it is something productive that you enjoy :lolb

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

And to make up for too many off topic posts in here...

My other "handy hint"

We collect cardboard boxes, flatten them out and use them as pathways between roes of veges. They keep the weeds down and help define areas so we can remember what is what sometimes :lolb
And makes it possible to walk around the patch without getting muddy feet.
The cardboard eventually rots away and we just lay new ones where and as necessary.
Once a year the vege plot is emptied (over summer when it is too hot to grow most things here) and the soil tilled over with a rotary hoe and fed with compost, manure etc until we are ready to plant again in March/April.

Looks a little like this (except that we need a few more to replace the ones that are rotting away)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

Rainbow wrote:
And to make up for too many off topic posts in here...

My other "handy hint"

We collect cardboard boxes, flatten them out and use them as pathways between roes of veges. They keep the weeds down and help define areas so we can remember what is what sometimes :lolb
And makes it possible to walk around the patch without getting muddy feet.
The cardboard eventually rots away and we just lay new ones where and as necessary.
Once a year the vege plot is emptied (over summer when it is too hot to grow most things here) and the soil tilled over with a rotary hoe and fed with compost, manure etc until we are ready to plant again in March/April.

I have seen cardboard boxes before used as a mulch. This guy who I read his blog laid down card board boxes, pierced them and secured with pegs. Whenever you need to plant, open a whole on the cardboard and plant. He was also using subsoil drip irrigation.

Rainbow wrote:
Gawd NO... that would be Criminal :surp

Ohh good then.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

gyeniceri wrote:
I have seen cardboard boxes before used as a mulch. This guy who I read his blog laid down card board boxes, pierced them and secured with pegs. Whenever you need to plant, open a whole on the cardboard and plant. He was also using subsoil drip irrigation.

We also do similar to this with newspapers. Our entire vege plot is sheet mulched (covered) with newspaper, abut 15 sheets thick, then a good 10cm or so layer of horse poo (we are lucky to have access to loads of good relatively weed free horse poo).

When we plant we just clear away some poo, poke a hole in the paper and plant.

The poo and the paper gradually break down, and at the end of the season are also tilled over into the ground.

The boxes as described before are just extra protection for pathways between rows etc.

We have been doing it this way for about 3 years now and the veges only seem to get better each year and the plot is easier to manage too.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Sprout

I use the water from the Fishtanks and the yabby tank to feed the potted plants, they love it!

I also use cardboard for mulch, collect it from Mitchell recycle or Belconnen recycle station by the trailer load, especially before a rain period like this, lay it out and gradually cover it with weeds and grass clippings and prunings, layer apon layer.
Last Autumn I layed cardboard down then raked leaves from around the parliamentary triangle and covered them.
Avoid the Oak leaves as they take forever to break down...

When I was establishing the vegie garden beds, raised sleeper beds, I used a mix of mushroom compost, topsoil and bullshit, lots of sheep pellets, and invested in several thousand worms.
Its all about the soil...

The chickens remove the aphids and other bugs when allowed to roam free, and sure they eat the lettuce and most of whats in the garden, including the strawberries, but I just think how much better the eggs will be :D

old carpet from our bleeting friend the sheep, works well as weedmat and can be picked up free.

If you see the tree chippers in your neighbourhood, offer them a case of beer for a load of chip. But be careful what they are chipping..suss it out first.

I used to collect 6 boxes of greenwaste from around cabbages etc every other day, and penned the chooks over the poor soil, within 3 years its become the best soil I have...

Has anyone got any ideas for cheap/free netting for individual fruit trees?
Is there some place in or near Capital Country that uses alot of shadecloth or the like and bins it regularly?
Anyone have old fishing nets?
:throw

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:48 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

I did read of one gardener who had an old bath uphill of his vegetable garden, with the drain dispersed through his patch. He'd fill it with water and his ducks would happily climb in, swim and foul the water as they do. Whe it was sufficiently rank, he'd pull the plug and the well manured water would flow through his veg. Refill and repeat :lol:

Now that's thinking

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm
Forum Moderator

Pete_Lisa wrote:
I did read of one gardener who had an old bath uphill of his vegetable garden, with the drain dispersed through his patch. He'd fill it with water and his ducks would happily climb in, swim and foul the water as they do. Whe it was sufficiently rank, he'd pull the plug and the well manured water would flow through his veg. Refill and repeat :lol:

Now that's thinking

thats a brilliant idea

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next