View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Crap soil in Kambah 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Crap soil in Kambah
Hey all,

Had a miserable early year with veg this year. Everything seemed to start well, then got straggly and died back. I put it down to the heat and water, but a mate came around and said "how much manure did you put in?" Well, I'd put maybe a bag of cow poo (BIG mistake, weed city) across all the beds. He laughed and suggested another 6-7 bags minimum.

So I went and got a few bags of sheep poo and heavily top dressed and watered like mad. Well....too late for 3 of the 5 tomato plants I had in, they died, but all the other veg etc, you could just about hear them growing. The rhubard especially, it used to have stems 4-6cm long then die off, now it's sending up long thick stems like mad!!

Call it a learning curve, but I didnt realise how poor the soil was in Kambah. Had OK results year on year so far. So assumed it'd be OK Next year in the raised beds and ground level beds, much poo and compost will be added.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:46 pm
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Crap soil in Kambah
I would have put it down to water and heat more than the soil quality.

We also had terrible return on our veggies this year along with everyone else in the area..

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

See I put it down to water, too, I was watering 2x a day. To no result but poor straggling plants, It's too much of a coincidence that after I top dressed extensively the plant growth kicked in. The soil in my raised beds is the <cof> vegi mix <cof> from a local soil company which needed major compost/manure to be anything but sterile potting mix. (we still have a left over mound of it out the front and after 3 years it doesnt even have weeds growing on it) So it is very friable and the water drains very quickly. Excellent for root veg tho

The heat I attributed to bitter cucumbers and the like.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Get some chooks - maybe 6-8 for a Kambah backyard and chuck the poop and straw on your veggie patch 2 to 3 times a year. Brilliant!!! Best fertiliser ever - and it costs you ------- zip!!!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm
Site Administrator

I agree on the chicken front just run your chickens on the veggie patch over winter & thinks should start to improve :)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

The previous owner of our place built a series of nice raised garden beds for veggies but the dirt used I them retains absolutely NO moisture. When you water the garden it all just runs straight out.
We dig in heaps of straw from the chook pen a couple of times a year along with a couple of bags of sheep poo and slowly things seem to be improving

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]