View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Cauliflowers 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Cauliflowers
Hi All

I am growing cauliflowers for the first time. I haven't generally had a winter crop of anything but thought I would give it a crack this year.

I have about a dozen gorgeous big cauliflowers ready for picking. Huge tender and snowy white things. Thing is, there is only me these days to chew my way through them - added to which I have to go overseas for a few weeks.

So the question is - how long do they last on the plant before they either spoil or bolt to seed. If its soon - I will most likely give away what I haven't already eaten - but it would be good to get a couple more or myself.

Ideas?

Cheers

Rob

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Cauliflowers
You need to pick them as soon as they are ready, they will soon grow out of their prime. Can you blanch and freeze? or Curried cauliflower soup is yummy and freezes well.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:42 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks Guzz. I will try blanching and freezing - and hope they don't turn to mush. Still might give some away to a favoured few.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 pm
Sprout

Juice it ... juice vegetables are the fad now esp in losing weight. Mix it with mango then process into your juicer. you may try this too...
Cucumber – 2 Medium
Cauliflower – 3 Cups
Fuji Apples – 3 Medium
Cilantro to taste

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 am
Sprout

Benefits of Cauliflowers

Antioxidation

1.Cauliflower is a very good source of vitamin C and manganese, which are both powerful antioxidants.

2. Anti-Inflammation
Cauliflower also contains high amounts of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, which help decrease inflammation.Potentially, regular cauliflower consumption can help decrease the risk of inflammation-mediated diseases such as arthritis, obesity, diabetes mellitus, inflammatory bowel disease and ulcerative colitis.

3. Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular
By virtue of having antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, cauliflower consumption is protective against cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases.

4. Digestive
A cup of boiled cauliflower delivers about 3.35 g of dietary fiber, which helps clean your digestive system and gets rid of unnecessary substances.

5. Nutritional
Cauliflower also contains vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid), B6 (pyridoxine) and B9 (folic acid). It serves as a good source of proteins, phosphorus and potassium.

Juice it together with mango.Run the cauliflower through your juicer until you have the quantity of juice that you desire.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]