View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Fresh Horse Manure on Vegetable Gardens 
Sprout

Post Fresh Horse Manure on Vegetable Gardens
Hello,

I recently purchased horse manure from a local farm, the manure did not smell and was not liquid-like. I believe it had already been somewhat decomposed before I purchased it.

I simply got home and spread it liberally over my vegetable garden (all which look like they are about 1-2 months away from harvest).

Then, I looked online (should have done this first!) and found that e.coli from fresh manure can contaminate edible crops such as vegetables. I then saw that children and elderly are more at risk of getting sick. Should I not eat the vegetables?

Also, the vege's didn't look very good before I put the manure on, now, about 1 week later they look fantastic and the broccoli has even started to shoot through the middle. All the plants seem to love the manure on top of the soil.

I think because my garden bed was only made last year it is lacking in organic matter, which is why I chose to place the manure on the garden in the first place. I have also dug a hole in the ground and placed the manure in it- it's composting well, and the flies have somewhat ALMOST disappeared. I can imagine a lot more flies would be around if I did this in spring or summer!!

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 pm
Green Thumb

Post Re: Fresh Horse Manure on Vegetable Gardens
if you still have a month or so to harvest I wouldn't worry about it.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm
Sprout

Thanks! :D

Yeah that's what I thought. I won't stress about it, I remember my father used fresh manure on our vegetable garden when I was a child but I didn't get sick!
I think all the scare on the web is because of a minute portion of people have been contaminated.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm
Forum Moderator

I have seen the most incredible vege garden built almost completely on fresh horse manure.
Seriously this guy had the biggest, largest most amazing crop of everything I have ever seen.
I wish I had of taken photo's.

When I get beck into my vege garden this year I'm heaping it on.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 pm
Green Thumb

If your manure does not smell then it would not be that fresh - if it is reverting to dust or even just brown rather than green in the centre it would have matured. Horse manure should never be runny - wow, bet e.coli was never entertained a few years ago as a threat in the vegie garden! And the great thing about horse manure is that you never have to worry about it hurting your crops as it does not have the acidic nature of chook poo.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Enthusiastic Gardner

If horse manure is brown, light and has a hollow appearance and feel, it's definiely not fresh from the horses... well you know.

I always use horse manure because it really doesn't need anything done to it to be used and is easily available (for me I just have to walk a paddock with a wheelbarrow) :)

What I usually like to do is have a stockpile of plain soil and one of manure and then have it mixed up with an excavator and let it sit for a few months before using it in your garden (not so easy if you dont have access to one) but last year, I picked one spot in the garden, perhaps bare of grass where the soil is looking worse for wear and store horse manure on it, after a couple of weeks, use a pich fork and start digging it into the ground each week, eventually the soil will become dark and rich, throw in vegie scraps and a bit of fertilizer, I even use to tip the water from boiling barley and the boiled barley I use to get when I cleaned out the barley boiler once a week and mixed it in, barley has a lot of nutrient in it and my vegies loved it, I would use the water nce it had cooled to water them too. By the time your ready to harvest it would have become a beautiful rich and dark soil, mix the matter in your garden and plant a green manure crop ( i just used the black and gold budgie mix) when all the shoots are a few inches long, mix it all in and you will have a perfect organic matter in your soil. I also mix in vegie roots from the harvest, nothing gets wasted and is re-used.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]