View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Growning Carrots 
Green Thumb

Post Re: Growning Carrots
:lol: :lol:

I tend to think forked roots are possibly perfectly natural for a carrot, but we are used to the idea of the single fat taproot that we can buy in the shops. Mind you, it does make them easier to peel!

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:43 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Re: Growing Carrots
Foodie wrote:
My first tip with carrots is to grow at least half a dozen different varieties planting at the optimum time for your area - spreading your picking time as they develop at different rates, rather than trying to do successive plantings.
:arrow: Secondly, loosen the texture of your soil with some additional sand - don't have clay soil clumping. This is more likely to give you deformed roots.
:arrow: To get a high germination, in addition to covering with damp hession for at least a week as mentioned earlier in the thread, I actually walk on my row of seeds I've just planted. It makes sure you get good contact with the soil.
:arrow: A last word - don't bother with seedlings, ie plant your seeds direct. When you think of the miniscule hairs that get disturbed when you transplant them, you'll be guaranteed to get forked carrots, regardless of conditions.

Ahhh, thanks Foodie, it was seedlings I had bought from the nursery! So I shall buy seeds :)

Jayups :lol: How funny!

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Seeds are sowed. Planted in seed raiser mix in a loamy top soil patch with chook manure mixed in. The beds are heavily mulched, I have made 3 rows and have just sat some mulch on top. It gets soaked every evening then once they sprout i'll separate the mulch just so the top leaves can grow up. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out :-)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:28 pm
Forum Moderator

good going chookie - about 2 years ago I made a fresh bed with "vege mix" from the local sand and gravel place and the carrot crop was fantastic with no added ferrilizer.

Last year in the same bed the results were not so great :(

Hey J - thats reminds me of a few years a go my daughter decided she wasnt going to eat meat because it was cruel :roll:

and so I questioned her about weather thiungs like Carrots were distressed when they were pulled up, peeled and cut up - at the time I was chopping up carrots and a squeeled each time I cut the carrot - If they loked like yours and had eyes I think she would have believed me :o

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

saabman wrote:
good going chookie - about 2 years ago I made a fresh bed with "vege mix" from the local sand and gravel place and the carrot crop was fantastic with no added ferrilizer.

Last year in the same bed the results were not so great :(

Hey J - thats reminds me of a few years a go my daughter decided she wasnt going to eat meat because it was cruel :roll:

and so I questioned her about weather thiungs like Carrots were distressed when they were pulled up, peeled and cut up - at the time I was chopping up carrots and a squeeled each time I cut the carrot - If they loked like yours and had eyes I think she would have believed me :o

:lol: very amusing!

Maybe they needed a bit of fresh soil :scratch

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:08 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Carrot seeds have all sprouted. Very pleased! :thumbright

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2