View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Growning Carrots 
Enthusiastic Gardner

Post Growning Carrots
Does anyone have any tips on growing carrots. I can never seem to get the soil right. :scratch

What works for you? What manure have you used that works for you?

Any recommendation on soil types to use, a certain type or a bit of a mixture etc?

Last seasons carrots went a little twisted. My soil had a bit of clay matter though so pretty sure that wouldn't help :?: & had used horse manure (as that's the only manure I had readily and freely available.) I am going to try chook manure this year.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers :)

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 am
Green Thumb

Post Re: Growning Carrots
Carrots are best grown without manure I believe. Put them in after another crop has finished without adding anything to the soil. As the seeds are so small it is very important to make sure there is good contact with the soil so tamp it down a bit, and they must not dry out while germinating out so a wet sackcloth or even a board over the top to prevent evaporation until they emerge helps.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks :) That's helpful, so i'll try no manure. Did you use any fertilizer etc to provide nutrient in the soil? I think I might try the liquid fertilizer maybe.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 pm
Green Thumb

I have to confess I am not a great carrot grower myself, I am quoting others here! :)

If the previous crop had been manured then you shouldn't need to add any more for the carrots. Too much nitrogen will cause forking and twisted roots I believe, and favour top growth over root growth.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm
Forum Moderator

The trouble with fertilising carrots is you have to make sure the fertilizer is deep, so if you plan on using some, dig right down before you plant your seeds and put the manure down well under where the carrots will grow. The idea is to get the root to grow down. If using liquid fertilizer once they're growing, water very deeply or before rain so that the root of the carrot continues it's downward path towards the source of the nutrients. Same with any watering you do, it is best to be a deep soaking.
Adding some sand to your soil mix may or may not help. I'm gathering you've read the carrot threads on here, hope you had a chuckle ;) .
My best have come out of pots in a light comercial potting mix.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:57 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Thanks for the tips. I was told yesterday also by the lady I got my ducklings from that she uses sheep manure & finds that the worms come up and eat it and then it would be spread and deposited deep in the soil & has no problems with carrots so that makes sense. :nsm

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Agree with guzzigirl. The issue for me has always been getting a good germination. The board works ok, as does a bit of loose straw. The other trick is to mix your seeds in a small jar (a spice jar is good) about half full of fine sand. Give it a good shake and spinkle into your furrow and just pat it down. That way, you end up with aa good even spread of seed, and it seems to give me a better germination too - not sure why.

Twisted and forked carrots often means rocks in the soil

Robbo

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:43 pm
Green Thumb

forking can also mean too much humus or nitrogen I believe. You want a sandy soil low on nutrient that encourages the tap root to go straight down.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am
Sprout

Post Re: Growing Carrots
My first tip with carrots is to grow at least half a dozen different varieties planting at the optimum time for your area - spreading your picking time as they develop at different rates, rather than trying to do successive plantings.
:arrow: Secondly, loosen the texture of your soil with some additional sand - don't have clay soil clumping. This is more likely to give you deformed roots.
:arrow: To get a high germination, in addition to covering with damp hession for at least a week as mentioned earlier in the thread, I actually walk on my row of seeds I've just planted. It makes sure you get good contact with the soil.
:arrow: A last word - don't bother with seedlings, ie plant your seeds direct. When you think of the miniscule hairs that get disturbed when you transplant them, you'll be guaranteed to get forked carrots, regardless of conditions.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 pm
Forum Moderator

I live in a sandbelt - I think I need to explain this to my carrots :shock: .

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next