View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What are you growing and harvesting now? 
Regular Gardner

Post Re: What are you growing and harvesting now?
jayups~garden wrote:
I'll buy a dozen Ric. Do you think they'll survive the post to Melb :lol:

Knowing Aussie post, they will probably be crumbs by the time they get there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 pm
Regular Gardner

Had quite a annoying discovery this morning, some little beggar has gone and eaten my giant pumpkin plant. :shock:

It wasn't just a nibble, the whole blooming thing has been devoured to the ground. I'm not sure who to blame though, Roos or Rabbits.

I've planted another seed and built a little cover with some spare chook wire, that will fix the little blighters. :lol:

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 am
Forum Moderator

Ooops, sorry. I was a little hungry waiting for the scones to arrive. :shock:

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Last year we got so sick of our entire veg garden getting drowned in the downpours. According to the boffins at BoM, this year will not be as bad, but still wet and cool. So we lashed out on some raised garden beds. 2x 1.2 x.3. Filled them with good vege mix and sandy loam, + a healthy swodge of worm-ridden compost from our bins.

Made a channel for the run-off out of old pavers and concrete edging pieces, then mattocked and applied more vege mix onto the raised (ground level) beds.

So this year our veg will be pretty expensive, but still better than spending that money on tasteless shop bought stuff!

So in went: 6x tomato plants of various types, with onions (red and white), carrots, leeks, chilli, capsicum, cucumber, snow peas, climbing beans, cos lettuce, dill, basil, and english spinach. Still to go in are some zuchinni, but plenty of room left :D

Now all we need is some *adequate* rain to water and fill the tank, and a good harvest is nigh!! :)

Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 pm
Forum Moderator

It does get expensie building the infastructure Pete_Lisa - Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort.

Especially when I have years like this one wher the growth has been so fast everything has atsed quiet bitter and now has all gone to seed :( time to rip it all out and start again :roll:

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:04 am
Enthusiastic Gardner

Yeh, kinda payed for themselves, at least in an emotional payback, as we got the deluge pouring thru the veg garden again. The beds remained out of it, so a full replant was not needed this time. Note to self: remove the mesh fence along the downhill 'outflow' it makes a keen dam and floods beds.

All good so far, things growing slowly, but flowering and starting to get fruit on plants.

Any hints on onions or leeks? The onions dont seem to be bulbing up, just growing leaves. And the leeks are just sitting there. Perhaps I'm too impatient, think of a january harvest. Oh well, at least the crops wont rot on the ground while we're away over the break :)

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm
Regular Gardner

Pete/Lisa, apparently you need to bend the stalk of the onion for the bulb to grow (I don't grow onions but read it somewhere recently). As for leeks, they just have along growing time ... mine went in ages ago and haven't grown much either. At this rate I think I'll be harvesting them in winter :(

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:11 pm
Green Thumb

you can expect to wait about 20 weeks from planting out seedlings for leeks (add about 6 weeks for seed) and 6-8 months for onions. They are long term plants and if you want a quick turnover probably not the best things to plant. Onions particularly as they are day length sensitive and won't fill out until a particular time of year rather than in so many weeks time. Bending over the stalks of the onions will not cause the bulb to fatten but will compromise the health of the plant.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:44 pm
Forum Moderator

I hate waiting for stuff to grow :roll: GG then by the time its grown Ive forgotten about it and it goes to seed :o

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:07 am
Green Thumb

I read up on the practice of bending the stalks of onions. This is done when it sends out a flower stalk I think to prevent it flowering. Any onions that do this will not be any good for storing and should be used first. AFAIK there is no advantage to bending over the tops if there is no flower stalk.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next