View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
What are you growing and harvesting now? 
Forum Moderator

Post Re: What are you growing and harvesting now?
The passionfruit has gone wild this year (the roots must have hit the cat, buried in that spot several years ago :o ) Thanks Cybil Puss.
Not ready to harvest yet but it's going to be a bumper crop. The neighbours are thrilled it's grown over the fence and up their tree, we're all good for sharing. :thumbright
It's growing very nicely over the chooks shelter too.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

But by law it's your fruit. They are only entitled to pass it back over the fence to you...don't forget to thank them when they do!!!!

[color=#0000FF]Dexter & Jersey Cattle;Pigs; Merino Sheep; Plymouth Rock, Light, Buff & Speckled Sussex, Marans, Faverolles, Orpington and Australorp Chickens; Pekin, Aylesbury & Indian Runner Ducks; Pilgrim Geese; Bourbon Red & Royal Palm Turkeys.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Green Thumb

well haven't had a lot of time or enthusiasm for gardening with all thats been going on.
I've had seedlings sprouting and growing in along the hallway windows for months, but every time I went to plant out- something more important distracted me......
early efforts were thwarted by chooks and wildlife- who knew that shinglebacks love lettuce just as much as they love cat biscuits....
Attachment:
shingleback.jpg
shingleback.jpg [ 320.25 KiB | Viewed 643 times ]

in the end everyone got their fill- even the cat....
Attachment:
whos biscuits.jpg
whos biscuits.jpg [ 280.39 KiB | Viewed 638 times ]

but pleased I made an effort to plant out my kitchen courtyard again in november.....
um, are cat biscuits ok for shinglebacks to munch on? they seem to love the dog biscuits as well- but go mad for these salty fishy ones....must be like potato crisps for lizards.....

Attachments:
arucana.jpg
arucana.jpg [ 319.42 KiB | Viewed 643 times ]

Last edited by Carole on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

and have been eating lots of silverbeet, wild rocket (didn't notice the bugs on it till I saw this photo- my eyesight is going) and spring onion and basil- great in omelettes (getting more than 30 eggs a day) on pizza and lasagna

Attachments:
wild rocket.jpg
wild rocket.jpg [ 386.22 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]
spring onions.jpg
spring onions.jpg [ 350.38 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]
silverbeet.jpg
silverbeet.jpg [ 386.61 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:12 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Attachment:
lots of beets and tomatoes parsley and basil.jpg
lots of beets and tomatoes parsley and basil.jpg [ 424.07 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]
the beetroot is doing really well- have harvested weekly since beginning of december now...

Attachment:
Forno beetroot straight out of the ground.jpg
Forno beetroot straight out of the ground.jpg [ 413.44 KiB | Viewed 641 times ]
pulled up a lovely bunch of beetroot

this variety is '' Forno"- supposed to be a longer tubular shape but only one was true to that shape.
I feel sure there must have been a mix of different seeds among it, because some leaves are very dark red right through and some quite lime green. and the ones with green leaves are a different looking beet top poking through....we'll see- I like vege suprises!!

a lighter coloured bulb than bulls blood or other heritage varieties after cooking but cooked up evenly and has a very delicious flavour. Add some fresh parsely, chives, beans and quinoa and this will be dinner!
Attachment:
Forno beetroot dressed with lime vinagarette.jpg
Forno beetroot dressed with lime vinagarette.jpg [ 262.45 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

We would be growing and harvesting a lot more if I could stop our pesky white leghorn pullets from bombing into the garden and having a fun time scratching!!!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Green Thumb

Cai wrote:
We would be growing and harvesting a lot more if I could stop our pesky white leghorn pullets from bombing into the garden and having a fun time scratching!!!!

ditto, only it is Peter Pan the big fat lamb eating plants down to the ground here :evil:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5