View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What are you growing and harvesting now? 
Regular Gardner

Post What are you growing and harvesting now?
Now that spring is sprung and the grass is riz (so to speak), I thought it would be good to see what everyone has growing at the moment (or harvesting as the case may be).

My garden is chugging along nicely, at the moment I have the following growing: garlic, chilli, kale, several varieties of lettuce, onion, a gazillion beetroot, silverbeet, broccoli, cauli, greenfeast peas, sugarsnap peas, snowpeas, several varieties of potatoes and in pots/seedtrays to be planted soon I have several varieties of tomatoes, honeydew melons, warpaint watermelon, sweetcorn, spaghetti squash and cucumber. And two surviving carrots from seeds that got scratched up by a marauding chook:(

I've been trying to follow the moon planting guide (it most definitely works) but the timing usually sucks, so I am not really sticking to it as much as I would like.

I've also bought some berry canes, and a few more fruit trees - mulberry, strawberry guava, almond, orange and a couple of grape vines. We've cleared another big section to expand the 'orchard' and for a bigger area for the sweetcorn, watermelon, squash and more potatoes. So far its looking like I have just given myself a full time job :lol:

The only thing I've harvested so far was some Kale - I made kale chips which were absolutely disgusting, this stuff is so bitter I don't know how anyone can eat it! The ones we tried were store bought seedlings, I have some coming up from seeds that look different, but if they are as bitter, the whole lot is coming up for the chooks - blech!

Will add some photos when I take some:)

Our Small Farm blog: http://eagleburra.com.au

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator

Post Re: What are you growing and harvesting now?
We are growing tomatoes, chillies, watermelons, spaghetti squash, zucchini, cucumbers, beans and much more, the only thing we are harvesting however is limited to silverbeet & not much else, let things slip a few months ago & didn't plant as much as I should have!

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

At the moment we have garlic, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Pak choy, peas, silverbeet and swedes.

Harvesting wise, all we have been harvesting is the Pak Choy. The Tomato and Chilli seeds are in, just waiting on them to sprout in their little greenhouses.

In the next couple of weeks we'll be getting the pumpkins and watermelons started along with the summer veges like lettuce etc.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm
Green Thumb

dextermooz wrote:

The only thing I've harvested so far was some Kale - I made kale chips which were absolutely disgusting, this stuff is so bitter I don't know how anyone can eat it! The ones we tried were store bought seedlings, I have some coming up from seeds that look different, but if they are as bitter, the whole lot is coming up for the chooks - blech!

there are different types of kale so might be worth trying another variety. Also don't let the leaves get too old before picking. I have also heard that if you freeze it first that gets rid of any bitterness.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 pm
Green Thumb

I have growing garlic and leek, broadbeans (will be picking soon, there are lots of little beans on them) spring onion, thyme, sage, bay, coriander, parsley and Bloomsdale Spinach. My beets have all been harvested and my pea plants did not survive the birds.

New seedlings to plant out are pumpkin, beetroot, tomatoes (3 varieties,) mizuna, cucumber, eggplant, basil, beans, snow peas, zucchini. chilli and capsicum haven't come up yet. Fruit trees in are cherry, apricot, plum and peach but won't be getting fruit for a few years yet as they only went in this year.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:56 pm
Forum Moderator

Harvesting = parsley, mint, asparagus, potato's, brocolli, lemons, corriander and heaps of snow pea's when I beat my daughter to them :) .

Growing or flowering = Garlic, tomato's, Rasberry canes, blueberries, passionfruit, stawberries, mini peach, columnular apples, pear.

Seeds to go in = Some interesting cucumbers, vegetable spaghetti, capsicum, beans, + too may more to mention. I'm going to try gorilla
gardening with a lot of my seeds so they'll all get mixed up and tossed in. I'll follow a general companion planting guide
though. We topped up our raised beds on Wed and have had good heavy rain since to settle them, so planting perhaps over
the weekend.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm
Forum Moderator

Growing Peas, spinach, carrots (of course) lettuce tomatoes garlic and teh strawberries are growing lots of new leaves.

Harvesting - zip :(

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:12 pm
Enthusiastic Gardner

Growing: Artichokes, rhubarb, onions, wide range of fruit trees (10 new bare rooted trees added to orchard this year), asparagus (still too young to harvest).

Seeds sprouting/at seedling stage now: broadbeans, parsnip, carrot, silverbeet, mixed lettuce, bok choi

Seeds in but not up yet: beans, beetroot, pak choi, wombok, spring onion (I am sure there is more but I have forgotten!)

Harvesting: spring onion, mustard greens, parsley, chives, oregano, marjoram, sage, rosemary etc. (the herb garden has just exploded :). Most of the winter veg is all finished and out now. Just finished off the last of the beetroot and broccoli.

Still lots more to be planted when the weather warms up a bit - then will put in things like tomato, basil, zucchini, button squash, corn etc

Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs- "Putting the Breed before breeding"

Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Regular Gardner

My "Atlantic Giant" Pumpkins have just sprouted as well.

These beauties gan grow up to 300kg plus :shock: soI'm hoping for a good one to enter into the Collector Pumkin festival next year.

Kee thinks I'm a bit potty and see's me going out and checking up on it at midnight and guarding it as the festival draws closer :lol:

I also haven't got a clue what to do with afterwards either :hmm

Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:42 pm
Forum Moderator

Good luck with your quest. I'd love you to add some photo's further down the line.

Quote:
I also haven't got a clue what to do with afterwards either

Is that just because they are so big or are they inedible?

If it's edible, lots of yummy pumpkin dishes. Or puree it and freeze it. You can always share. Slice up some pieces wrap them and put them out the front with a sign and an honesty tin or just give it away like I do with my surplus.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next